• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rsherwood Buyer beware!

Erik D_lux

Price: $1

Description:

Hopefully this is in the right place?  I tried to do it in the feedback forum but it didnt let me unless I could link the topic.

Rsherwood PM'd me after seeing in another post that I wanted a chrome flag mirror.  He showed me a picture of it on the car, it looked like it was in great shape.  He told me that everything was in good shape.

I got the mirror and immediately noticed the gasket that goes around the door is split and also the little end that goes inside the mirror was badly beaten up. 

The gasket around the mirror looks like somebody took a sanding pad to it.  Its very rough and not uniform.  Like somebody rubbed the frame on the sidewalk.

Not all hardware was shipped as promised.

The deal breaker is that it looks like the set screw stripped off in the base, somebody tried to drill it out, missed multiple times and never even got the set screw out.  Maybe this is why the hardware was not included because it had to be destroyed to be removed?  So, the mirror cant even be attached without maybe welding, drilling and threading a new hole and even then, its going to be tough to get to look and work right again.  He told me I am being picky about this part and that its driver quality.  Maybe it is driver quality if you could even attach it to the car?

In the sellers defense, he did offer to send the missing hardware (no mention of the gaskets, set screw etc).  He also offered to refund it if I sent it back.  My problem is that I know that he had to know about the issues before shipping, they are too obvious.  I dont want to pay for shipping when I feel like these were known issues (also think about why he wanted me to pay friends and family).  I think he sent these parts knowing they were bad and hoping to pass them off or not have to issue a refund.20181217_100618.thumb.jpg.9783e911bc1369e515a2f8dcf4f33143.jpg20181217_100624.thumb.jpg.d52b28d2c207dfa64aed33b4963744cf.jpg

I have opened a paypal dispute.  I would like a full refund with him paying shipping back. 

20181217_100812.jpg

20181217_100822.jpg

20181217_100857.jpg

In my defense: I sold the mirror to him for $100 shipping on my end. I’ve already spent money to ship, pack. I don’t think it’s fair that I’m expected to pay for shipping because it isn’t to his liking. As far as the missing hardware, it’s the plate that goes on the door itself that I forgot to send, which I offered to send. He refused right away that he doesn’t want to deal with the mirror and wants his refund. I told him right away he can have his refund, not a problem. It’s only fair he sends it back. He’s trying to be a wise guy and dictate the situation all in his favor. The mirror glass and chrome are in very good shape. Let me know what you guys think. To me it’s not about the money, more about the principle. After I took the effort to pack, ship on my own expense, the least he can do is send it back. I just might be wrong, who knows. 

Thanks Resra.  I appreciate it.  If it were just the gasket, I wouldnt have bothered anybody about this.  Its much more than that though.  I am not sure how youre going to fix the base of the mirror without some serious work.  I think youre just better off finding a new one, which is even more money.  For $100 for a mirror, you think I would have at least got one that I could mount to my car?

Resra that is nice of you. What’s not nice of this buyer “Erik D_lux” is when I asked if he can send friends and family to avoid paying fees, or if he can send a “couple of dollars” more to compensate for the fees. His reply was “sorry buddy fees on your end”. Regardless of him penny pinching me from the start, I still agreed to send the mirror to him knowing I would be responsible for paying 1. Shipping 2. PayPal fees 3. Packaging material to protect glass. I went ahead with the sale, thinking it’s going to help a frugle member out. Despite all of that, I still replied right away I would give his refund, just to send the mirror back, because I know it’s good. He wants to be “Mr. I’m right no matter what” and impose even more fees on me. What’s the matter with people? As they say, treat others, as you would like to be treated. I hate this kind of confrontation, but I will not keep my mouth shut, if I’m being wrongfully accused. 

Edited by Rsherwood

I have been looking at these mirrors for awhile now.  I wanted a nice one.  For $100, you should be able to get a nice one.  I have a much better one here for $60.  As you know, I can get a brand new one for $150, which is what I will do now to avoid all this hassle.

Yes, as a seller, you have to soak up the shipping if you tell the buyer the price includes shipping.  You also have to soak up the boxing and packaging and Paypal fees.  I sell a TON of stuff online and bet I pay almost $40k in paypal fees a year.  I never ask the buyer to pay them, its the sellers responsibility.  If you dont like the cost, ask for more in your asking price.    

Yes, you treat others as you want to be treated.  If I send a part that I make mistakes on (you had many mistakes) I will send a buyer a prepaid label to get the part back to me.  I do this all the time.

I paid for a mirror in good condition.  I didnt get anything close.  I know that you know this when you sent it wasting both of our time.  For me to pay for that seems crazy.  

I am fine with Paypal figuring this out.

Erik, understood and yes with some work and bigger set screw etc. that hole could be redone to where you can make it work to be mounted again. A quick trip to your hardware store may solve the issue. Do take the mounting bracket with you if you are going to attempt that route so they can see how it all goes to work.

Other than that I do understand your perspective and view. Unfortunately everyone's understanding of quality is not equal. Specially buying/selling used parts.

I remember back in the 90s once I went to buy a square tail car that was advertised 650 miles away from me for $1600. Mind you there were no cell phone camera or digital cameras in consumer use yet. The seller said oh it's in great shape! Just doesn't run because it needed carburetor work. That weekend, I rented a uhaul trailer, installed a trailer hitch on my SUV and drove 650 miles to pickup the 1974 2002. So excited....it was going to be my 1st 2002!

I got there and the car had no floor, the interior was shot, engine seized, total rusty and when I opened the door reluctantly the bees chased me as far as I could run.

I didn't know what to say to the guy...I just walked back to my SUV and headed home. That day was a total wakeup call for me to understand that people have different understanding describing things. Maybe he just loved that car so much that he failed to see what I was seeing?

Youre still claiming this mirror to be in "very fair condition" and "drivers quality".  This is even after you know of all these problems.  Are you for real?

I guess people can decide if they want a non useable part in these conditions from you.  I would strongly disagree that its very fair or drivers condition.  Again, I cant even mount the thing.  How is it very fair or drivers quality?  LOL.  Its driver quality sitting on the shelf or the ground?  LOL

Edited by Erik D_lux
Had to edit because I thought he said "fair" but it was "very fair condition"

3 minutes ago, resra said:

Erik, understood and yes with some work and bigger set screw etc. that hole could be redone to where you can make it work to be mounted again. A quick trip to your hardware store may solve the issue. Do take the mounting bracket with you if you are going to attempt that route so they can see how it all goes to work.

Other than that I do understand your perspective and view. Unfortunately everyone's understanding of quality is not equal. Specially buying/selling used parts.

I remember back in the 90s once I went to buy a square tail car that was advertised 650 miles away from me for $1600. Mind you there were no cell phone camera or digital cameras in consumer use yet. The seller said oh it's in great shape! Just doesn't run because it needed carburetor work. That weekend, I rented a uhaul trailer, installed a trailer hitch on my SUV and drove 650 miles to pickup the 1974 2002. So excited....it was going to be my 1st 2002!

I got there and the car had no floor, the interior was shot, engine seized, total rusty and when I opened the door reluctantly the bees chased me as far as I could run.

I didn't know what to say to the guy...I just walked back to my SUV and headed home. That day was a total wakeup call for me to understand that people have different understanding describing things. Maybe he just loved that car so much that he failed to see what I was seeing?

Yeah, its happening all the time.  

I went to buy my E21 in May.  I bought it on Ebay.  Pictures were flawless ad description said flawless inside and out.  I called the guy, I asked if there was even a tiny thing wrong with it.  He said no.  Its all perfect.  I asked, is the interior black or blue, your camara is a bit dark.  He said that they were black, he didnt think they even sold blue interiors....

So, I travel 10hr, 700 miles and find a car that cant even run, over heats going less than 2 miles, seat brackets broken amonst many other things, BLUE interior.  Car was a wreck!

I think people know what they have, I think they just want the sale.  Its just a shame they cant be honest about it.  I guess you cant sell crap if youre honest though?

12 minutes ago, resra said:

Maybe he just loved that car so much that he failed to see what I was seeing?

Thinking about it.... maybe youre right?  In this situation, he is still claiming the part is "very fair" or "good condition".  Maybe he believes it is?

It makes it really hard to buy old used stuff if thats the case.  I mean, there has to be a standard to which we all use, right?  I would be willing to bet if you looked up those definitions in the dictionary that neither "very fair" or "good condition" would apply to a non use able part?

Erik stop with your lies!!! You and I both came to the conclusion that a new mirror is $224 with the shipping. So don’t claim it’s $150 now. Also don’t tell me you pay $40k in PayPal fees, I would have believed that, because I don’t know you personally. But a penny pincher like you does not sell $1,350,000 of parts a year thru paypal a year, for you to pay 40k in fees. Especially after you threw the remark “the fees are on your end buddy” you would die 40,000k times before you accept paying 40k in fees. Cut the crap and see if you put a screw in the mirror to mount it. If not I’ll gladly take it back! Pay the shipping like a millionaire that you are. 

Edited by Rsherwood

Calm down... LOL

I think its $150.  Shipping is like $50 flat rate.  I need to order a bunch of other stuff so really, the mirror rides for free.

I have a business that has a majority of transactions going thru Paypal.  You can believe me or not, no biggie.

I cant simply drill a new hole and tap it.  There are multiple holes around the set screw.  I just measured and if you took out the set screw, youre looking at a minimum of an 8mm set screw.  That would be fine except the fact that the edge of the screw would be breaking thru the side of the mount at that size.

Really, to fix it right, you would probably have to weld it all back up, drill it out and tap it.  My guess is that is going to ruin the chrome finish and probably have poor threads to do the porosity from not being able to clean the material before welding.  None of this is worth my time when I can just spend $150 on a new mirror that is perfect with all new hardware and gaskets.