• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hella LED Third Brake Light with Surround

halboyles

We have shipped out ten units today.  I have PMed or emailed those receiving this batch.  I wasn't able to contact @bluehills2002 or @jedm3 as a PM throws the error that they "cannot receive messages".  So if those two could PM me, I can provide updates 

The next batch will be here the first of next week.  I appreciate everyone's patience with this slow process.  We wouldn't have gotten such a huge discount on the 3D printing if I hadn't negotiated with the vendor to produce them as time permitted between his regular runs.  Once you have them in hand you will definitely appreciate the quality and fit.

• Like 4

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

31 minutes ago, 2002Drew said:

Will your light fit the CS window profile ? 

I don't know.  I am sending one out to an owner with your same vehicles and he is going to report back.  I'll let everyone know when I hear the results.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

Chris is the one who told me about your light. I'll wait until he gives us a report.  Driving in South FLA. was tough even before drivers had their eyes glued to their cell phones. I really need a light that can be seen,day or night!  GR8 design!

1972- 2002, 2001- X5 Dinan

6 minutes ago, 2002Drew said:

Chris is the one who told me about your light. I'll wait until he gives us a report.  Driving in South FLA. was tough even before drivers had their eyes glued to their cell phones. I really need a light that can be seen,day or night!  GR8 design!

I’m in northern Fl. Drivers here are pretty clueless coupled with no driver ed or safety/emissions inspection make for an interesting driving environment. Don’t get me started on the trucks with the ”Palatka lean” (rear springs cut). Anyway, I have a coupe also and will be seeing if its rear window angle is accepting of the new light and report back. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TodB said:

I have a coupe also and will be seeing if its rear window angle is accepting of the new light and report back.

I would love to hear from other vintage owners with multiple models about the fit.  I have had the 3D printer create a generic version of this enclosure and could have it produced with any angle needed to fit almost any vehicle.  I think we would just need the angle measurement of the upper glass from horizontal level.  If someone wants to take that measurement, I can have a prototype produced.  

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

Would there be an issue with differing horizontal curvature to the glass?

Maybe it’s not so pronounced in the middle- nothing that the 3M foam couldn’t  cope with?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

7 hours ago, Simeon said:

Would there be an issue with differing horizontal curvature to the glass?

That is definitely a parameter to consider.  On the '02 the surround itself is flat and it fits flush.  I have no data on other models.

32 minutes ago, TodB said:

I will measure the angle of the 2002 rear window and of my coupe and report back on Friday. 

Sounds good.  I can get a prototype done and perhaps you can try it on for fit.  It might take a couple of weeks to get the prototype produced.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

Hal,

I received my two units quickly, well packaged, and in good order.  I had no idea they would be so stout/solid/beefy.  The length should be just the ticket for an '02; the lens is thick and crystal clear; the 3D-printed mount is heavy and extremely solid; and the wires are of an impressive gauge.  The completed units are sufficiently solid to be used as combination anvils and sledge hammers.  I will throw 12V to them tomorrow and likely be impressed.  

Thank you for thinking of us and for your hard work on the provision of this valuable part to us.

Larry

IMG_7543.thumb.jpg.e0c221a522f2ee773b791c3a3d494d44.jpgIMG_7546.thumb.jpg.04c168b8f41f6b4b53b043ad3ec3d3a3.jpgIMG_7541.thumb.jpg.6612a7a33c585159955db53e825d4e4e.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2002#2 said:

The completed units are sufficiently solid to be used as combination anvils and sledge hammers.

Don't forget to paint them with some UV resistant spray paint so they don't get damaged!

And, you're welcome.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com