• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hella LED Third Brake Light with Surround

halboyles

I received the prototypes today and they fit the Hella LED brake light perfectly.  It looks like the final cost for the surround alone is going to be $38 plus shipping.  The surrounds are done in HTPLA (High Temp Polylactic acid) and they are further annealed to add strength and stiffness.  The price also includes some CAD work by the vendor to accommodate the two different sizes of these lamps.  The vendor recommended painting the outside with any UV resistance paint to prevent long term fading.

For those who asked for the surround plus the light, I am going to put together a ready to install package with the surround, Hella LED light, 3M double sided tape, and the electrical connectors.  That package will be $97 plus shipping.

So, I am ready to ask the 3D print shop to make as many copies as folks want.  I need to have firm commitments from those who are ready to buy either the surround or the complete package before paying the vendor to proceed.

The list I have so far is:

@DavidLayton

@grizzlebar

@bluehills2002

@jedm3

@AceAndrew

@Artcop

@MattL

@Schnellvintage

@Teelinger

@mvliotta

@Chris Wrona

@AutomaticFTP

My PayPal address is halboylesjr@gmail.com.  Please also include your shipping address if you haven’t already done so.

Since there are two sizes of these Hella lights, please let me know if the one you have measures 265mm at its widest.  Otherwise I will assume that everyone else has the 255mm version.

Pics attached.

Hella LED Brake Light in Surround (1).jpg

Hella LED Brake Light in Surround (2).jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

2 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

shows a max width of 258.5 mm

Yes, you are reading it correctly.  As I discovered in my meandering about the Hella brake light world, there are at least three versions of a very similar part number.  I had the designer create two versions of the surround to accomodate all of the versions I came across. So if you have either the 255 or 258.5 version, the narrower surround will fit them.  The 265mm required a slightly wider surround.  

Here is just one other variation of a Hella listing for this " Centre High Mount Stop Lamp" .

Centre High Mount Stop Lamps International Catalog.png

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

3 hours ago, blads1@hotmail.com said:

Do you have an idea when the complete  kit will be ready ...and when do you need the payment for it ?

Greetings Pierre!   Very good questions, both.  I should have been more specific in my initial posting about the timeline and payment.  It should only take ten business days to get the surround printing done and shipped according to the vendor.  

I would really need to get all orders prepaid so I can pay the vendor in advance to do the printing.  So to answer your question, please send your payment as soon as possible.  When I have enough requests prepaid to cover the surround printing itself, I will place the order with the vendor.  I can shipped both the surrounds alone and the complete kits within a week of receiving the printed parts.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

Hal,

Did I miss the thread describing this and showing one in place / prototype etc? It feels like I have woken up in the middle of something!

As usual I want to get onboard this but I am struggling to justify replacing my humble incandescent Hella unit at the bottom of my rear screen. 

How is it secured? Double sided foam tape did you say?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

13 hours ago, halboyles said:

No worries.  It hasn't caused any delays.  But I have used those missing parts as an excuse now and again!  

You just want the surrounds, correct?

I'll get the parts in the mail today– and I'd like two full brake light assemblies if that's how you're planning to offer them. Please PM your PayPal addy or just let me know how to send payment. And, thanks so much for your patience. Life got hectic here for a bit but everything's settled down.

EDIT: I see your info above. ?

Edited by Artcop

Can you tell me a little more about the complete kit you're putting together? Is it going to be a full plug-and-play sort of thing with the wiring set up, or is it up to the buyer to assemble the bits? If the former, is the wiring length designed for mounting at the top of the rear glass or down on the bottom, and where does it connect to the factory harness?

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.