Chris_B

Where can i get a 3 bolt drive shaft flange?

6 posts / 464 viewsLast Reply

I am finally ready, after 20 yrs of putting it off, to install a 5 speed in my 02. It appears that I have pretty much everything I need except for a 3 bolt flange drive shaft. The conclusion I have come to after several weeks of research is that I need to find a driveshaft front half 3 bolt flange donor somewhere. Or, do driveshaft shops have access to 3 hole flanges that could be grafted on my driveshaft? I dunno, but am frustrated trying to find one of these.

Go hunting for a parts E21...it'll have the driveshaft with a 3 bolt guibo flange that you seek.  Have your driveshaft shop cut that off the front half and weld it to the shortened front section of your current 2002 driveshaft, balance the whole thing and you're set.  

Or....find a four bolt, fine spline flange off a Jan 74 or later production 2002 4 speed and use it with your shortened/balanced original 2002 driveshaft.  Either way will work.

mike

Or....find a four bolt, fine spline flange off a Jan 74 or later production 2002 4 speed and use it with your shortened/balanced original 2002 driveshaft.  Either way will work.

I have found the late 4 speed flange to be different from the 5- speed.  But that was a sample of 1...

t

Edited by TobyB

I think I want to stick with the 3 bolt flange, since my tranny has that and conventional "wisdom" says the 3 bolt is stronger than the 4 bolt,,,?  I guess I need to find an E21 donor driveshaft.

Gracias.

Just swap the flange on your trans to a four bolt. They are plentiful and it's unlikely that you will break an eight bolt guibo. I have plenty of them if you need one.

I just had one put on my five speed conversion shaft by Oceanside Driveline, they do this pretty frequently from what I understand. 

http://oceanside-driveline.com

During my research, I also spoke to Driveline Service of North Atlanta who have also done quite a few conversations and who said they had three bolt flanges.

https://driveshaftrepair-norcross.com/

As to whether either of them would just sell you a flange as opposed to performing the work, I really couldn’t say.