wegweiser

I finally typed a new thing: "Tools to go"!

17 posts / 988 viewsLast Reply

Enjoyed that! I really like your pared-down approach, Paul.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for that Paul.  Being a newbie, it answered one of my bigger questions.  I've put about 500 miles on my 2002 without a single tool in the car.  Talk about blind faith in the previous owner!

• Like 1

I just went through a major tool reorganization (both garage and car) this summer, and arrived at most of the same conclusions regarding the trunk essentials that you did, Paul. I will offer one additional development with which I am particularly pleased: tool rolls. After struggling with several box arrangements, I decided to search for alternate solutions and came upon a near-perfectly sized tool roll (I'm still using a small box for spares). I filled mine with a mixture of old German and American tools, most of which became available as a result of the garage reorganization and some new tool purchases.

I went with 3/8" sockets (they're in a dedicated set of pockets on the right side of the roll), but otherwise it's pretty close to what you've got. Rolled up it tucks nicely into the corner of the trunk where the jack used to reside (I carry a scissor jack I scavenged out of an old VW). Here's the link in case anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/1173-Pocket-Socket-Tool-Pouch/dp/B000KKUTCY

IMG_20180725_145910_1024.jpg

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Andrej said:

I just went through a major tool reorganization (both garage and car) this summer, and arrived at most of the same conclusions regarding the trunk essentials that you did, Paul. I will offer one additional development with which I am particularly pleased: tool rolls. After struggling with several box arrangements, I decided to search for alternate solutions and came upon a near-perfectly sized tool roll (I'm still using a small box for spares). I filled mine with a mixture of old German and American tools, most of which became available as a result of the garage reorganization and some new tool purchases.

I went with 3/8" sockets (they're in a dedicated set of pockets on the right side of the roll), but otherwise it's pretty close to what you've got. Rolled up it tucks nicely into the corner of the trunk where the jack used to reside (I carry a scissor jack I scavenged out of an old VW). Here's the link in case anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/1173-Pocket-Socket-Tool-Pouch/dp/B000KKUTCY

IMG_20180725_145910_1024.jpg

I really like this tool roll.  Using one also keeps the noise level down from tools rattling against each other.

• Like 1

I second the tool roll idea. I got that and a small canvas bag at harbor freight (also a source for those cheapy sockets/ wrenches). The roll holds the tools and the bag holds the roll, belts, wire, parts, etc.). I have kits like this that go in every vehicle.

In addition to your recommendations, I also suggest jumper cables and a can of fix-a-flat. I know the tire shops hate FAF but when you need it (night, rain, soft shoulder, etc), it is unbeatable. Saved me a couple times over the years.

Lastly, in my truck, I also threw in a bag with tow straps and ratchet straps.

• Like 1

nice, I'm always going through this in my head or what I need. that's turned into a milk crate full of stuff in the trunk, which was too much!

thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too have tool rolls that I carry in the car at all times, I also have a steel cantilever toolbox that, in theory, has a further set of tools that complement and don’t duplicate the tool roll (the reality is not quite that cut and dried). The combination of tool roll + tool box means that I could complete pretty much anything up to the scale of a head gasket replacement in a car park.  

(if I was crazy enough to do that ?)

The theory is that this box is taken, with the tool roll, on longer runs. The practice is that the car runs so well and feels so strong, I don’t bother. The tool roll stays in the trunk or comes out to tackle unrelated, non-02 jobs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The worst condition your car is in 

the more tools you’ll need.

get the car right and tight.

then you’ll only need a few failure 

prone  electric parts and the most basic tools 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

The worst condition your car is in 

the more tools you’ll need.

get the car right and tight.

then you’ll only need a few failure 

prone  electric parts and the most basic tools 

Indeed: LUCK FAVORS THE PREPARED!  :D

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 12:08 PM, Vicleonardo1 said:

For those of thus that Ahem....are more dangerous with tools in our hands than not...

I always carry these two. 

IMG_1092.thumb.jpg.fefa2df723b664478ac87f0609341417.jpg

check!

3 hours ago, wegweiser said:

Indeed: LUCK FAVORS THE PREPARED!  :D

If traveling in a caravan with other 02 folks, I've found its best to have an assortment of tools and parts.  Even if YOUR car doesn't end up needing anything.

Guess I've been pretty lucky so far.  I do remember having to tighten the LF wheel bearing in TN on the way to MidAmerica in the Spring of 2010.

Good list, I carry about 3' of wire with alligator clips on it for trouble shooting if I need the rewire a section I just remove the clips and squeeze the terminals on I also carry about a foot of plumbers tape outside the tool roll for exhaust repairs or what ever.

• Like 2