fastricky

A daily driver that rivals the '02 experience?

94 posts / 5635 viewsLast Reply

Here's my challenge: I live in NY so my DD needs to be snow friendly. For the past 5 years I've been leasing a Mini Cooper S. Great car, but after driving the '02 this summer I realized that I want something that is more pure and straightforward a driving experience, and after the current lease ends I want to try something new (Mini hasn't innovated their flagship at all in the five years I've been driving it. Like why not add 4-wheel drive for starters?). Gotta be a stick - no flappy paddles.

I've been considering the options (of which there really aren't many when you add the manual transmission into the mix) and am considering a used Porsche Carrera 4 (early '90s). Very reasonably priced, easy to find one with low miles and four-wheel drive. I can't think of a better daily driver that would satisfy me like the '02 does when the 2002 is hibernating. Shouldn't be a problem in snow etc.

For example, look at this one that just sold today on BAT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-porsche-911-carrera-4-cabriolet-5/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_watched_listing_ended

Typically I'd go hardtop, but at that price a convertible would be nice (and I think on that version of the 911 looks great).

What do you guys think?

Edited by fastricky

964 4's usually are headache's and not that fun to drive

go g50 87-89 or 993c4 if you want awd. both will be overall better cars on every level than the 964 and cheaper to maintain

Daily?  Snow? Porsche?  Forget all Air Cooled Porsches.  996 C4.  Dirt cheap now and Faster, lighter, more reliable, and better handling than a 993 or 964.  Why is it not loved?  It has a water cooled engine and shares lights and fenders with the Boxster (at least 99-01 did).  I had one for years and put 100k miles on it as my daily from Newport Beach to LA...90 miles a day.  Sold it to a guy in Alaska.  He wanted a fun car for all year up there.  Its got the same AWD system from the Turbo (bulletproof)...and the same chassis as the GT3 (extra rigid).  I had Coilovers on mine and that got rid of the understeer that people complained about with the AWD.  It was a BLAST to drive and handled on rails.  That car cornered faster in the wet than most cars corner in the dry.  

My 99 C4 Cabriolet...

img_1481-1.thumb.jpg.b273fbee242c444fd0530334f29bae19.jpg

Edited by jrhone
  • Like 3

How exactly is an AWD P-car a "more pure and straightforward...driving experience"? It may be a lot of things, but 2002-like? I don't think so.

Go buy the cheaper of the two 91 318is in the classifieds if you want something that mimics the 2002 experience. Or if you think you need more modern stuff, or are concerned about the E30 rusting, go find an E82 128i.

Full disclosure: I've had a 128i as my daily for about a year and half at this point.

• Like 1

I've looked long and hard at the 318is' in the classifieds (I owned a new 318is back in '91) but as mentioned I need something better in the snow and that won't start to rust...

VW “R” dual clutch Porsche engineered, 4wd I believe they still can be available with a 3 pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrhone said:

Daily?  Snow? Porsche?  Forget all Air Cooled Porsches.  996 C4.  Dirt cheap now and Faster, lighter, more reliable, and better handling than a 993 or 964.  Why is it not loved?  It has a water cooled engine and shares lights and fenders with the Boxster (at least 99-01 did).  I had one for years and put 100k miles on it as my daily from Newport Beach to LA...90 miles a day.  Sold it to a guy in Alaska.  He wanted a fun car for all year up there.  Its got the same AWD system from the Turbo (bulletproof)...and the same chassis as the GT3 (extra rigid).  I had Coilovers on mine and that got rid of the understeer that people complained about with the AWD.  It was a BLAST to drive and handled on rails.  That car cornered faster in the wet than most cars corner in the dry.  

My 99 C4 Cabriolet...

img_1481-1.thumb.jpg.b273fbee242c444fd0530334f29bae19.jpg

Just make sure the IMS bearing is done or you save money to have it done for the 996's, if it goes out on you (based on what I have read) the car is essentially 'salvage' - cost to rebuild the motor is more than its worth.  Non-expert here but have done some snooping around on these 996's as well and they are pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking).

https://www.oregonpca.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ORPCA-IMS.pdf

IMS is not as bad now from what i have read and rebuild parts for the motors are available now. For the first 10 years or so Porsche did not provide engine parts for the M96 motors. They instructed dealers to replace motors for any types of leaks so Porsche could get the motors back and tear in to them.  Now there are many options out there for motor rebuilds even boring up to 4.0 liters. Google M96 rebuilds and see whats out there.  I had a Boxster and a 996. Both were rock solid.  The 996 did have an engine replaced uder warranty because of coolant in the oil but i sold it at 130k miles.  2nd engine had been 100k on it.  Only reason i mention 996 is because he mentioned 964.  You cam probably get a 996 for 10-15k and drive the hell out of it.  If i were looking for a good all weather car id be looking at Audi S5 used.  Audi Quattro is pretty amazing. 

44 minutes ago, markmac said:

Just make sure the IMS bearing is done or you save money to have it done for the 996's, if it goes out on you (based on what I have read) the car is essentially 'salvage' - cost to rebuild the motor is more than its worth.  Non-expert here but have done some snooping around on these 996's as well and they are pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking).

https://www.oregonpca.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ORPCA-IMS.pdf

Great info.  Funny how it states the higher failure rates for 2000-2007 cars.  My car was a 99.  Boxster was a 97.  I guess those years were more reliable.  

I wish I could get an Audi TT but alas no stick (can I special order a stick from Europe?).

I also had a new '97 Boxster (car I owned after the 318is) and couldn't understand the slams on it, it was a killer car. If it had a back seat, that'd be a contender (I drove it in Toronto winters for 5 years!).

1 hour ago, fastricky said:

I've looked long and hard at the 318is' in the classifieds (I owned a new 318is back in '91) but as mentioned I need something better in the snow and that won't start to rust...

I get the rust thing, but snow? In NYC? It's not Plattsburgh or Buffalo. Put four snow tires on it and drive on. I live north of the city and have driven nothing but RWD BMWs 365 days a year for the last decade and a half at least. Not only is it doable, it's fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schnellvintage said:

VW “R” dual clutch Porsche engineered, 4wd I believe they still can be available with a 3 pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would have been top of my list except I want a 2-door. Lots of needles to thread on this one admittedly!

E30 325ix. It's awd and for you're budget it can be found in a 2 door with 3 pedals. I haven't personally driven the awd version but I loved my 325es and I don't think you could find a closer driving experience to the 2002.

Even if it does start rusting it will probably still hold its value better than most other options.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk