• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo seats

Yale

Hello,

first two pictures from an original BMW 02 paper parts catalogue from 1978. With those already come some mistakes, but there are much less than in the newer digital copies.

Screenshot_20190214-200230.thumb.png.2cb04108ab7fa27f93bf050c077e2857.png

Look at the 2002turbo column: "Skai glatt schwarz neu (92) 51 92 7 659 227" is the smooth vinyl for the sides, bolsters and backs. That part number has changed over the years and is 51 92 1 905 497 today.

Screenshot_20190214-192627.thumb.png.c6c5427f7e40432a832521ca94898038.png

On this second picture there is one of the mentioned mistakes. It shows another part number for "Skai glatt schwarz neu (92)" and that's wrong. But what is right is some lines down "Skai perforiert schwarz (0005) 51 93 1 828 200" which is the vinyl for the centers. Part number still the same today.

And this is what you get, when you order 51 93 1 828 200 at your BMW dealer:

IMG_20190214_164848641-1500x2000.thumb.jpg.d109b0aa74d5fa7b93c1fdda8df7a30a.jpg

IMG_20190214_164833575-1500x2000.thumb.jpg.d4ffd8169b62b445d5a7981603bd5b7e.jpg

Had to order some for the next turbo seats I'm about to redo and fetched it last week at my BMW dealer here in Frankfurt. If now there are still some people believing, that this is not the correct vinyl for turbo seats, I'm very sorry, but I can't help anymore.

Best regards, Lars.

• Like 1

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

On 1/27/2019 at 3:14 AM, Einspritz said:

Here is some further images. The "E21 Recaro" vinyl is not the same as my turbo center section.

The E21 vinyl has round holes that penetrate through the vinyl. The seams are sewn in through the vinyl to attach the foam / fabric backing material.

The Turbo vinyl has SQUARE DIMPLES that do not penetrate the vinyl. The dimples measure ~2.2mm square, the distance between them ~7.50mm on the long side between the rows and 4.5mm between the squares. The "seams" are 5.21 mm wide, with 52.76mm between the inside of the "seam" to the inside of the "seam". Measured center to center of the false stitching is 57.13mm.

Sorry I am not skilled at Photoshop to do this.

HTH

P1194565 (Medium).JPG

P1134560 (Medium).JPG

Don't know what your photo is showing or if there might have been different materials for US spec cars, but that's not what I've always seen on still original E21 vinyl Recaros. Jim's photo seems to show the correct material.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:02 AM, tisalover said:

Lars,

Would you be so kind , bitte, as to share your source for the Center material in the factory 2002 turbo seats? The material is as pictured in Einspritzer 's imaging / pictures as above.  Redoing my seats correctly it is the last component of getting my turbo totally back on the road. My drivers Side Seat cushion was completely destroyed and covered with leather during its time in Tokyo.

We need a little European help on this. ?

Very best regards, as always, Peter

DSC02435.JPG

Peter,

seems to be true what people say here in Germany: Quite big percentage of the turbo production spent at least some time of its life in Japan.

You can order the vinyl for the turbo seat centers at your BMW dealer with using the part number from my post above. Or (as I'm not sure if the dealership structure is the same in US as here in Europe) at least at a source, that is able to supply OEM BMW parts.

What comes into my mind along with your photo: If I look at the conditions of your instrument cluster, it wouldn't be an too easy job to replicate the correct red painture for it. Had a discussion on that issue not too long ago with a not really satisfying outcome.

Best regards from Rhine Main area,

Lars.

• Like 1

Já nevím, možná zítra.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, Yale said:

Thanks so much for writing Lars. It’s so great to get real information over ‘fake news’

my side bolsters are stating to wear through, how do I fix this? Does the whole seat need to be redone?

is the best contact for you through the faq?

Thanks again. 

Yale (is that your name?),

you can repair the side bolsters of the bottom parts of the turbo seats separately quite easy. For the backrests it gets a bit more complicated.

If not only the vinyl but also the upholstering needs some work: Unlike Recaros, Scheels and any other sport seat from that period, that I've ever had in my hands, the Rentrops do not use foam but what I think is called horsehair in US (in fact it's rubberized coir and not real horsehair). That is correct and original. None of the Rentrop upholstering parts is available new anymore, you'll have to do needed repairs by hand.

You can of course contact me via PM. But please be prepared that it might take some time before I can send an answer.

Best regards, Lars.

• Like 1

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars;

Thank you for that insight.

I have 3 questions if you will answer; how many meters of each vinyl does it take to recover the front and rear seats, and how do you get the stamped horizontal false stitching effect?

Also, the beading that is used between the two fabrics, part number?

Kind Regards,

Ted

Ted,

happy to help, if I can.

For the smooth vinyl I can't really tell you a 100% number. This material is a "regular" on many, many types of seats and I'm buying some 20 or 25m, if I see my stock is running out. And I do not buy that at BMW as I can get the same quality aftermarket at about half of the BMW price over here in Germany. Depends on the width also - 905 497 is about 1,3m only, my aftermarket is about 1,5m. With 1,5m you're safe with about 6m following the original cutting pattern.

828 200 one can only buy complete meters over here (2,8 or 3,6 not possible) and with that you'll need 4m to be on the safe side. Leftovers might be helpful for repairs, if maybe needed somewhen.

I don't try to replicate the false stitching effect, I'm using a standard seam. Yes, that doesn't look 100% original and the expert can see the difference. But durability is more important to me than originality and as said from my view the process of heating up and embossing weakens the vinyl. What else should be the reason for the fact, that the first cracks always occur exactly there.

If beading is piping (sorry, I'm german), BMW part number is 51 94 1 937 533. But again I don't buy that at BMW. They would bill close to 5€ per meter with already my discounts included and same quality aftermarket costs me less than half. Makes a bit of a difference with the about 25m you'll need.

Best regards, Lars.

• Like 1

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Anyone in the US looking for the standard vinyl should check with Global Upholstery in Santa Ana, CA.  They stock the German vinyls and they have the correct grain for a fraction of the cost of the dealer and less than World Upholstery or GAHH.  I purchased several meters of Marineblau for my E12 M535i and it was a perfect match to the original door cards and seats.  I have had samples of the black and it’s the same as the Turbo on the non-perforated surfaces.  

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

Thank you Lars and W Kohler, 

I very much appreciate your time and help. This will get my seats back together.

Lars I completely agree with you about my instrument cluster. It is faded, this car sat outdoors for many years and the original red paint has a patina due to that. This is in fact one of the few things I have thought about leaving alone. The dashboard is new, and I have a new turbo gauge and cluster which is non-faded. I will give this serious thought, now of course would be the best time to redo the instrument cluster. Thank you again very very much for all your kindness, BMW expertise and sharing of your knowledge. I have been driving BMWs since I was a child, (I drove my parents BMW 1602 when I was nine years old, in 1970) and very much appreciate kindred spirits.

Thank you both again very much, sincerely, Peter

fullsizeoutput_3829.jpeg

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 12:34 AM, LarsAlpina said:

For the smooth vinyl I can't really tell you a 100% number. This material is a "regular" on many, many types of seats and I'm buying some 20 or 25m, if I see my stock is running out. And I do not buy that at BMW as I can get the same quality aftermarket at about half of the BMW price over here in Germany. Depends on the width also - 905 497 is about 1,3m only, my aftermarket is about 1,5m. With 1,5m you're safe with about 6m following the original cutting pattern.

828 200 one can only buy complete meters over here (2,8 or 3,6 not possible) and with that you'll need 4m to be on the safe side. Leftovers might be helpful for repairs, if maybe needed somewhen.

If beading is piping (sorry, I'm german), BMW part number is 51 94 1 937 533. But again I don't buy that at BMW. They would bill close to 5€ per meter with already my discounts included and same quality aftermarket costs me less than half. Makes a bit of a difference with the about 25m you'll need.

Best regards, Lars.

Lars,

Where do you source your black vinyl for the outer parts of Recaro seats? I'm looking to re-upholster a complete interior with E21 Recaros, E24 rear buckets and also the door panels etc, so I want to get the fabric just right...
I am looking for the black smooth effect that we see on many Recaro seats from the period, however, besides US websites, I can't find any sources here in Europe (France in particular...).

Any help would be much appreciated! 

20190223_174637.jpg

20190223_175410.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, didn't look here for a longer time.

First of all your Recaros are not E21 - they do look kind of Opel to me.

For the vinyl it might get expensive to send you some of the material I'm using. You can maybe try to testbuy a meter of the BMW 51 92 1 905 497 at your local BMW dealer and see, if it fits your expectations. Other way might be to search for a "Skai" type of vinyl at aftermarket resources. There are different types of surfaces with "Skai" too, of course, but a good shop will not hesitate to send you some samples I'd think and it narrows the search base quite a bit.

Best regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. Thanks for reaching out. I recently purchased Paul Cain’s 3002 twin turbo which if you haven’t seen it is meant to be an updated 2002 turbo and I feel the interior needs some original but recovered turbo seats. I think they are cool and a big part of the car’s feel and look. I’m also having custom made 17in wheels made that look a lot like the original Mahle wheels to allow the big brakes. If 15s will fit the brakes I might use restored e32 style 3 wheels. Anyway, would love some oem turbo seats on any condition to finish the look.