Yale

Turbo seats

41 posts / 2971 viewsLast Reply

Lars did a complete set of Turbo upholstery for me a year ago. And restored the ratty original Rentrops I found in Germany. He had access to the original material. Beautiful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

(edited)

Greg,

nice to read from you and again thank you for your kind words!

Happy new year to everyone first.

And maybe some upfont explanation, too: I don´t have the time to look here at the FAQ as often as I did in past. So for the people sending me PMs - please be prepared that it might take some time before you`ll get an answer. Do have some sparetime right now with visiting my parents for X-Mas and some days more and just had someone from Seattle, WA visiting me on his trip to Europe which brought up the thought in myself to have a look here after a longer break.

- Sportsitze is a generic term and means sport seats in english. It is no model name.

- Turbo front seats are Rentrop and not Recaro. One can of course doubt this fact, as today it seems to get usual to only believe in what you like personally - some quite important man in US is a really good example for that phenomenon.

- Their construction is totally different from everything Recaro has made by that time and you won´t find them (FWIK) in any other car of that period. They were made especially for the turbo (don´t ask me why - I don´t know / and don´t ask BMW why - they don´t know anymore either) which you can among other see from the fact that they fit into an 02 without consoles or adapters with just using stock seat runners. They are "turbo front seats" and I´ve never heard of any other particular model name.

- The smooth vinyl/leatherette for the sides and backs is stock black BMW Skai like used on every black stock 02 seat. BMW part number 51 92 1 905 497.

- The perforated vinyl/leatherette is the same material as used on the centers of every black, stock, non-cloth 02 seat from summer 1973 on. Was used in E21s also. BMW part number 51 93 1 828 200.

- The imitated seams are embossed with a heat gun and a roller tool with the correct pattern or there are also roller tools that can heat up themselves like e.g. a soldering iron. If I am to restore a set of turbo seats I don´t use this kind of technique because it weakens the material. Have a look at turbo or stock vinyl 02 seats - first cracks always occur exactly at the imitated, embossed seams.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina
  • Like 3

Not directly factory turbo seats, but new materials can be sourced to make your stock 2002 interior better.

Roll stock smooth vinyl (and leather) can be embossed (perforated) using special machinery.  GTS Classics sourced some smooth vinyl along with some that was perforated at the Veteran Company in Los Angeles (for GTS).

seat%20frame%204_zpsxkolczmx.png

seat%20frame%203_zpszntzin8a.png

20161209_1506591_zps2wnmlbrt.jpg

http://www.veteranco.com/coprofile.html

http://www.veteranco.com/swatch/card03.html

https://www.facebook.com/VeteranCompany/videos/327301827652845/

https://www.facebook.com/VeteranCompany/videos/510987245950968/

Jim

• Like 1

Jim,

really nice photos! Two things from my side:

- Embossing pattern is like Flechtnarbe which wouldn`t be correct for a turbo.

- Pipes on this type of Recaro never went in the top-down direction like on the photo (and on stock 02 seats of course). On Recaros it was always left-to-right originally. Of course there is no need to always go original if the owner likes something different better.

Best regards, Lars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LarsAlpina said:

Jim,

really nice photos! Two things from my side:

- Embossing pattern is like Flechtnarbe which wouldn`t be correct for a turbo.

- Pipes on this type of Recaro never went in the top-down direction like on the photo (and on stock 02 seats of course). On Recaros it was always left-to-right originally. Of course there is no need to always go original if the owner likes something different better.

Best regards, Lars.

Lars - notice I mentioned "not turbo seats".   They are GTS Sports Seats S. 

https://www.classiccarseats.com/sports-seats.php

Jim

Maybe I misunderstood, Jim. Still I´m no native english speaker and for sure never will be anywhere close.

4 minutes ago, LarsAlpina said:

Maybe I misunderstood, Jim. Still I´m no native english speaker and for sure never will be anywhere close.

No worries Lars!   My post was intended for general information about sourcing some good vinyl in smooth and perforated configurations and an alternative to (trying to) buy original 2002 turbo,  E21 Recaro and other 2002 "Sports seats".  Veteran seems to be able to source large quantities of high quality materials from Germany. 

Thanks so much for writing Lars. It’s so great to get real information over ‘fake news’ :)

my side bolsters are stating to wear through, how do I fix this? Does the whole seat need to be redone?

is the best contact for you through the faq?

Thanks again. 

On 1/3/2019 at 5:05 AM, LarsAlpina said:

The perforated vinyl/leatherette is the same material as used on the centers of every black, stock, non-cloth 02 seat from summer 1973 on. Was used in E21s also. BMW part number 51 93 1 828 200.

Lars, this doesn't seem right. I don't recall the E21 vinyl seats having this perforation pattern.

Can you confirm before I pull the trigger on a few meters of vinyl.

Thanks

ac 560.jpg

E21 Recaros came with cloth bolsters and centers and in an all vinyl configuration.  Centers on the all-vinyl sears were perforated.  My parents had a 1980 320is that came with the perforated vinyl.    

Yes, I have a pair of E21 Recaros that were all vinyl......up until I covered them in leather. I need to check if I saved the old for the patterns.

It was perforated vinyl, but was it perforated like the above, seams notwithstanding.?

The perforations are different.  Smaller and more prolific.  

3292BA95-CBE3-450D-BC27-ED3DA26F54B7.thumb.jpeg.de624aed3f80345879448cb7e2fbcd2c.jpeg

Lars,

Would you be so kind , bitte, as to share your source for the Center material in the factory 2002 turbo seats? The material is as pictured in Einspritzer 's imaging / pictures as above.  Redoing my seats correctly it is the last component of getting my turbo totally back on the road. My drivers Side Seat cushion was completely destroyed and covered with leather during its time in Tokyo.

We need a little European help on this. 😉

Very best regards, as always, Peter

DSC02435.JPG

Here is some further images. The "E21 Recaro" vinyl is not the same as my turbo center section.

The E21 vinyl has round holes that penetrate through the vinyl. The seams are sewn in through the vinyl to attach the foam / fabric backing material.

The Turbo vinyl has SQUARE DIMPLES that do not penetrate the vinyl. The dimples measure ~2.2mm square, the distance between them ~7.50mm on the long side between the rows and 4.5mm between the squares. The "seams" are 5.21 mm wide, with 52.76mm between the inside of the "seam" to the inside of the "seam". Measured center to center of the false stitching is 57.13mm.

Sorry I am not skilled at Photoshop to do this.

HTH

P1194565 (Medium).JPG

P1134560 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1