• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo seats

Yale

I was driving my turbo today and saw two cannibals by the side of the road ; they were eating a clown. My window was down and I heard one of the cannibals say"Does this taste funny to you?"

On a more serious note does anyone know where I can get the center section quasi- perforated vinyl Seat material. Passenger side seat is excellent but the driver side seat will need to be redone. I will probably have to redo both of them so they match perfectly. If Somebody has a source on this vinyl it would be very much appreciated . Very best regards as always, Peter

DSCN1282.JPG

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

The challenge is to find vinyl material with not just the pin point dimples but the simulated seams which are embossed running horizontally, including simulated stitching.

This vinyl is not BMW, Mercedes et.al. since the seats are Recaro; and Recaro doesn't reveal / have records on the source of the vinyl, at least when I checked decades ago.

Perhaps if you can find the manufacturer of the vinyl to at least get the specifications. Or more likely, find if it was used in another car and look for that.

I do know of a company that does embossing for door panels and could go that route provided there is sufficient interest.

Did you ask the European owners' Clubs?

PB294304 (Small).JPG

PB294370 (Small).JPG

This doesn’t alter the challenge of finding matching, heat-seamed vinyl for the original seats, but the turbo seats were manufactured by Rentrop, not Recaro. I’d probably track down Lars of Lars Alpina if I was looking for the best current-day match.

I’m guessing there won’t be any genuine heat-seamed replacement and you’ll have to simulate the heat-seaming with actual stitching.

Or...is modern “embossing” actually a heat-seaming method? I simply don’t know.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

That the seats are Rentrop is another myth busted. Have any idea what model? Just trying to see if there is a cross reference among models that may use the same center vinyl and used in other cars of the era where reproductions may be more available.

It is not heat seaming as there is no seam. It is an imitation seam as say, in the door panels. You see "stitching" but it is an impression. Presumably, you could buy some good quality vinyl and then have the impression done in small batches.

16 hours ago, Einspritz said:

...It is not heat seaming as there is no seam. It is an imitation seam as say, in the door panels. You see "stitching" but it is an impression. Presumably, you could buy some good quality vinyl and then have the impression done in small batches.

We’re talking the same thing: they, of course, are not actual seams, but a heat process was originally used to form the faux seams. The upholsterer (the Mad Stitcher of Atlanta, GA) who rebuilt spare front seats for my ‘73 and ‘76 still uses the term “heat seaming” to describe the original process used for the seats’ pleating. And that’s also why I was wondering about “embossing” door cards and whether that is (a.) the same process by a different name, (b.) a different process that achieves a similar appearance, or (c.) something completely un-related.

On other matters, let me look around for the Rentrop model name. I have seen it.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

@LarsAlpinaprobably knows as much as anyone alive about the Rentrop seats in the turbo. I’ve seen them referred to as Rentrop Sportsitze, but I assumed that “Sportsitze” was a formal model name. That might not be the case, and “Sportsitze” may have been used solely in a general sense. Some believe the turbo’s Rentrops were designed exclusively for the turbo.

Rentrop was, not coincidentally, the manufacturer for BMW’s standard seats. PARA, on the labels of most ‘02 seats, is an abbreviation for P.A. Rentrop — no, I don’t know where the final “A” in “PARA” comes from. ?

Below are three examples of the common PARA (Rentrop) label found in many ‘02 seats, the first one on a seat dated October 12, 1972 (“12.10 72”), The second one on a seat dated June 20, 1972 (“20. 6. 72”).

Best regards,

Steve

3199A8A4-7191-44A7-A388-15DBBD9286E1.jpeg

ECFB09F9-6FD8-4777-ABDD-E1137B702539.jpeg

A46CEC64-3069-46EB-82EC-DD180DDB6E94.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Thanks guys, I will do some deeper research on this . I heard that autos international in California does turbo seats. I will start researching and let you know what I find out. Best regards Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

On 12/26/2018 at 9:22 PM, Conserv said:

the term “heat seaming” to describe the original process used for the seats’ pleating. And that’s also why I was wondering about “embossing” door cards and whether that is (a.) the same process by a different name, (b.) a different process that achieves a similar appearance, or (c.) something completely un-related.

It is my terminology, so yes, the same process by my name.

I did see a feature on one of the "car shows" then went to the web site on this guy who makes door cards and seat vinyl for you guessed it, Corvairs.

He had this large press that made the impression in the vinyl which was then attached to the actual card.

"I think" one other thing to note is that there are threads attached to those pleats on the back which are fished through the Gummihair and tied to the framework to pull the seam tight.

I need to see "my guy" after the new year.......

• Thanks 1

I was given the name of GAHH Automotive in LA by a friend that said they specialize in older European car vinyl and leather. I spoke to then a few months ago and they said they have the patterns to make Turbo seat covers. I believe they quoted me about $1200 for the 2 front seats. I did not purchase them but at some point will need too to get the car to where I need to have it. They said they actually create the pattern by heating vinyl material. They stated they have done Turbo seats in the past. I did not speak to them with the level of detail and knowledge that some of you here have. If anyone is going to order seat covers, maybe we can put a larger order together as a group and obtain more favorable pricing. Also, please make us aware of any further information if you locate someone to make you  the seat covers. 

Juan Ortiz in Costa Mesa, CA recently did a set of front seats.  Correct material in the centers but of course the heat seams/embossing can’t be reproduced without that equipment.  He does excellent work, so I’d talk to him.  

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo