• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M42 (318is) into 2002? Refs and ideas, please.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am using an E36 M42 engine, which seems to be much more of a pain than the E30 M42. My engine mounts are almost identical to the ones on that german site. I still have not decided which transmission I am going to use. I have a getrag 225 out of an E21 323, which is nice and compact, but the problem is that it is about 10 degrees off when the engine is level. I really don't think it is a issue, but it will require some beating on the transmission tunnel. I also have a getrag 240 out of a E30 M42 powered car, it is a very nice fit, but it has no drive for the speedometer. The big problems I have run into are that there is no space for the header, because it hits the idler arm. I ended up using a 5 series idler arm bushing and making a custom mount. Another problem that I have that you will not is the induction is so big and bulky on the E36 engine that I have no room for a brake booster.

Have fun if you decide to do it, and email me with any questions or if you need engine mounts cut.

Peter