• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber dcoe 40s problem fuel leaking out of trumpet

Gre@semonkey02

If it's leaking out of the back throat of each carb, your fuel level's getting too high somehow.

(the back throat is lower than the front, in a 2002, just sitting)

All the above comments on as to why.

A DCOE can't leak fuel sitting if the float level's correct.

I have had situations where the fuel system overpressures after you shut down-

heat expands (sometimes boils) the fuel, and it pushes by the float valve.

Classic for that is having a big filter (especially if it has some air in it) in the engine bay.

If it's doing it at idle or speed, you have a different problem- foaming, sloshing, pressure, etc.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

14 hours ago, Terry Sayther said:

I like HalBoyles idea of checking to see if the venturi is loose, and while a sticking float/needle valve is possible, I'd check carefully for a loose needle/seat or debris in the seat. Of course, the famous 'heavy float' can't be ignored---we had a new carb recently with a bad float.

Just an FYI:

To address Terry's comment regarding brand new Webers having faulty floats  - We experienced this with a set of brand new ebay purchased Weber IDFs (as used on Typ 4 VW and Porsche 914 motors, frequently.)

Faulty / bad float.

After closer inspection, we're nearly convinced that they were counterfeit and not genuine Weber units. We have since installed genuine Weber floats in them and all seems fine - but it was a lot of wasted time involved… more than eating up the "savings"  on the internet purchased "discount" Webers. 

Even on brand new carbs, I always remove and compare each jet and calibrated part before installing them. Takes only minutes to check and I keep written notes for future reference anyway when I play with carbs.

Mistakes can happen during production or assembly, and finding out (after spending potential hours troubleshooting later) that the jetting / chokes vary from one carb to the next can be a REAL time waster and lead to unwarranted Weber hatred.

• Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

14 hours ago, Martin Cote said:

Pressure is at 3 psi use different gauge I toke the aux Venturi and fuel looks to high it’s going down the port and coming out the throat anyone have measurements to use calliper for fuel level .

As a data-point, I'm pretty sure I'm only running around 2psi on my DCOE's.

How are you measuring float-height? Brass or Plastic? Hopefully with the gasket and the cover being held vertical as to not compress the needle valve. 

Re caliper check, 26 mm comes to mind. The idea is to remove the jet chimneys and put base of calipers on that flat surface. then slowly push depth rod down into bowl area until you see fuel surface wink. Use flashlight . Search for DCOE float level setting and i think you will find some pics.

The carbs are on an angle, which might explain 2 and 4. Consider problems with needle valve, flooded float, setting foam floats to brass spec.

Edited by Hans
clarity