• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Sale (Not Mine) Craigslist

jackhossross

Cool. Glad I could help.

Have you seen the shells Coupe King in LA is selling? They're from a collector here in Seattle that sold his entire inventory to them. They're starting to sell off the stuff they don't want. Kinda pricey, but here are the listings:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/1972-bmw-2002-red-roundie/6749866386.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/1970-bmw-2002-riveria-rolling/6749866661.html

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

1 hour ago, Teelinger said:

Cool. Glad I could help.

Have you seen the shells Coupe King in LA is selling? They're from a collector here in Seattle that sold his entire inventory to them. They're starting to sell off the stuff they don't want. Kinda pricey, but here are the listings:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/1972-bmw-2002-red-roundie/6749866386.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/1970-bmw-2002-riveria-rolling/6749866661.html

I did - they are above my budget. I wish I could start with something in that condition - a blank slate but 15k for a rolling shell is tough to swallow.

Worth a call to make an offer. I talked to the original owner about 3 years ago about buying one of his other shells in the same condition. We were in the 7500 range at the time. 

Edited by Teelinger

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

Ok, here's another potential good deal. This has been for sale for a while and the price has come down significantly. Recently reposted at a higher price than it was a couple of weeks ago so there's room to negotiate. It'll need a paint job and I don't know what the rust situation is, but it has a lot of nice mechanical work done already, plus nice Recaros and matching rear upholstery that's not pictured. 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1976-bmw-2002/6771252257.html

Edited by Teelinger

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

19 hours ago, jackhossross said:

... 15k for a rolling shell is tough to swallow.

Yep! I’m curious to see what these shells sell for. Regardless of the dollars invested, even a $10K ‘02 shell has got to be a real rarity. I’m sometimes outdated in my prices, but when you say “prepped and painted shell (a.k.a., abandoned project)”, I immediately think $5K!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Here's another project. It's bone dry, but you'll need to replace every rubber part on the car:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1971-bmw-2002/6765363418.html

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

Hey everyone!

I'm brand spanking new to the community. Located in SF. I've never owned a 2002, let alone a BMW so this will be my first experience. My lease on my Fiesta ST ends in February and I wasn't sure If I was going to go back to owning a Miata... until one of my close friends who has a '73 took me on a 02 rally with him. I caught the bug as one does.

I immediately spent nonstop hours, days, obsessing and searching for a BMW 2002 Roundie..... as one does. Relentlessly hitting refresh on CL every hour or so.

Not many here in the bay area, and most in CA are in the  $20-$30k. A couple of project cars under $10k but in need of a LOT of work. Until I found this 1968 on CL ?

I contacted the owner of the shop and after sending me more photos, videos, he said it needed a new paint job badly, but other than that it's great running condition. The left turn signal and brake light are not working but he said he would repair that. He showed me the title and bill of sale, but I was still on the fence. I've never purchased a car out of state or sight unseen - so a bit nervous as you could imagine.

I did some research on his company (website, Yelp, FB page, etc) and even asked him for some local to the bay area customer references - which I spoke to on the phone and who gave him raving reviews. (I looked them up on Linkedin to check if the reference was legit, and it was).

Turns out his clientele are pretty wealthy and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on restoring their Porsches (plural). So seems pretty legit? And I've heard registering out of state is not too big of a deal (fingers crossed)?

With some quick feedback from friends and a couple of 2002 owners, I decided to make a deposit on the car and then sent him  a cashiers check for the difference. He was firm on price - seems fair.

He did however agree to deliver the car to me in an enclosed trailer for a fee, so I should expect to have the car the first week in January, as he's picking up a customer's Porsche nearby. I'll send photos/videos when it arrives!

I will say I'm glad I found this thread today! Shop owner didn't tell me about the rust by the sunroof :( I texted him and he said it hasn't gotten worse and that it's been "covered" and that "some good sanding and then epoxy will be fine." Given that he's a professional in restoration, I'm hoping he's right. Overall he's been very communicative and nice to work with.

Cross your fingers for me that this leap of faith doesn't turn out to be a nightmare!!!! 

jackhossross - I hope there are no hard feelings that I purchased the car, I do hope you find the car you that meets your needs... and of course your wife's needs :P  I plan on driving it to work three days out of the week but mostly to participate in SCCA events. I don't plan on doing any interior mods for that reason. If you're ever in the SF Bay Area let's go for a drive!

ANYWAY, I'm super excited to be apart of this community!

Edited by GeigerSpeed
Out of kindness to jackhossross - since we were both trying to buy the same car
  • Like 1

Congrats GeigerSpeed.  This car seems like a good match to what you are looking for rather than trying to make it more civilized.  If your friend's '73 is also modified for rally (I'm assuming this was a competitive event and not just an '02 drive through the countryside), there shouldn't be any huge surprises when you fire this thing up for the first time.

-Gary

• Like 2

Thanks Gary! Agreed on the "what I'm looking for" scale. 

The rally wasn't a dirt/competitive event, but rather a spirited event with checkpoints and landmarks. There was at least one or two heavily modified 02s in the group, so I did get a taste of that. Also knowing there are at minimum 15-20 active 02 drivers in my area made me feel better about my search.

Not to many 02s in the SCCA field from what I've seen, so I'm excited to explore some of the limits this car has with its current set up and share my findings. Nothing too crazy as I plan to also attend those fun spirited day drives, and of cours commute to work on a semi-regular basis.

Other than rust / paint repair the passenger seat is pretty messed up. If you look at the photos on BAT you can see that a black towel is covering it up - very sneaky. So that will need to be taken care of.

Also it did look like the car has been sitting for awhile. The photos the shop sent me had cobwebs under the car and in the engine bay. I'll need to find a local mechanic for general inspection and tune up perhaps?

Edited by GeigerSpeed
Name correction

@GeigerSpeed Congrats on the purchase! Absolutely no hard feelings. Happy that you found this thread - exciting to see how small the 2002 community truly is. I too am yet to officially join, but have been on the hunt seriously for a couple weeks.

I am in the middle of a project now - a 1989 Land Cruiser - so it is probably for the best that this one didn't work out this time. There are plenty of other fish in the sea, I will find the one perfect for me.

Excited to see your journey and again - congrats!

@jackhossross You saw that one on the Denver CL, with a turbo, that 'just needed to be sorted out?'  There are a couple around here- they come up every once in a while.

And for the love of everything hole-y, I hope you're not talking about CO's BMW in Loveland.  Their parts guys (Jason in particular) are good, but the place as a whole?  No way.

And welcome.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.