• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resonator delete or other exhaust spice-up?

man_mark_7

Hi all - My first post.

I recently picked up a very solid, if not very patina'd, '73. (Pic attached w/ my '70 Triumph Daytona) She has very solid bones and I'm more and more impressed with this car the more I work on it. It seems mostly original, especially the Agave green paint. It does have the Getrag 245 / 5-speed upgrade.

I'm finishing up some things so I can get it inspected. Along with many small things like fixing turn signals, horn, backup lights, etc., I have: 

• Rebuilt Weber 32/36 carb
  • Replaced right rear wheel cylinder
  • Installed stock muffler (old one rusted/broke off?!)

The stock muffler / resonator sound is a bit tame for me. I am considering deleting the resonator. I searched through the forums and found several mentions of "resonator delete" but they all seem to be custom straight-pipe solutions fabricated by muffler shops. Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf straight pipe that would mate to factory down pipe and muffler?  I am certainly considering a header in the future so I'm open to other options. I avoided the ansa two-tipped sport muffler as I heard they are a bit droning at highway speeds. I also read that the straight pipes can cause some popping when decelerating. Is this just an annoyance, or can it cause damage to the engine or exhaust?

Many thanks in advance!

M

gertrude.jpg

• Like 2

Before my fuel injection conversion my car popped and barked, my opinion is that the car is small and if you can be seen you should be heard.  Popping I don't think would hurt anything. I have a header, which is about to get bigger,  resonator delete with a single exhaust tip.   Now it is EFI, the mix is much better controlled, so no pop.... unless I can program it back in. 

I like it,  It is loud enough for SUV's to know I am beside them.  

Regards

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I feel like I have been posting this a lot.

But a visit to a good exhaust specialty shop would definitely give you some options to consider, especially if you have an idea  for the sound you are looking for. Unlike most automotive related shops, most exhaust shops are reasonably priced.  Check around with a few hot rodders in your area, they usually are an excellent referral source for the best and most reasonable shops. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

For several years I ran an Ansa rear muffler ($10 at a salvage yard--didn't even have the paint burned off!) and a straight center pipe on my '69.  Nice sound for around town, but a single two hour interstate drive had me changing things back to stock... one thing at a time. 

The droning drove me nuts, but was mitigated considerably by installing a stock center resonator.  Still had the bark but the drone was pretty much gone.  I ran that Ansa 'till it fell apart, and then went back to a stock muffler.  No real difference in performance, but much more pleasant on the highway.

mike  

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have an Ansa exhaust and resonator.  It pops a little and honestly I wish it would pop a little bit more.  But I agree about the long distsnce driving, it would be hard to bear indeed.  Great around town and maybe 30 mins of freeway driving but any more that that it would be too much although your five speed would knock the revs down so maybe that’s something to consider.  

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

The 'resonator' is misnamed- it's really an 'anti- resonator' and a lack of one will, indeed, drive you nuts.

Just like a lack of anti- sway bar will drive you nuts.

Keep both.

Buy a different muffler.

t

Magnaflows.

• Thanks 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I suspect a lot of people who want more exhaust sound have lined the entire pan with sound dampener. :D 

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-resonator-281971

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

Of course, the sound dampener does welll. Until you roll down the windows. :-)

yes, I have it and it is still PLENTY loud with the ansa muffler.    I saw a video of the Clarion 2002 project and that one popped plenty when he took the gas off. If I rememver correctly, they used an Ireland system.  Don’t know if that is the difference or not. 

Still Woud like a little more pop though.  Just for grins. 

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

47 minutes ago, D Seattle said:

Still Woud like a little more pop though.  Just for grins. 

Drill yourself an air leak into your downpipe - simples.

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I've experimented with a lot of exhaust setups on my black car (not an 02).  I have a helmholtz resonator bottle with two Vibrant resonators currently (one in rez position and one acting as a muffler).  I strongly support the idea of keeping a center resonator and enloudening (=P) the muffler end.  Please note that my original 02 center resonator had a restrictor plate in it which one would do well to eliminate, and use a straight-through rez like a Vibrant or similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

I used to have 1975 02 with only a resonator. The car sounded very good, a bit loud, but very good. So maybe something with two resonators would give you the sound you want without it being too loud. Unlike a lot of 4 cylinder cars, the 02 sounds good without a muffler. It does not drone, etc. and you can get some great burble on deceleration.

Former owner of Ivory, first 02, 74 base Chamonix Automatch with AC

Former owner of Ebony, '76 Schwarz, never missed a Grateful Dead concert

You drive new cars, you experience an '02

44 minutes ago, wh400 said:

I used to have 1975 02 with only a resonator. The car sounded very good, a bit loud, but very good. So maybe something with two resonators would give you the sound you want without it being too loud. Unlike a lot of 4 cylinder cars, the 02 sounds good without a muffler. It does not drone, etc. and you can get some great burble on deceleration.

I have the same setup on my '02. I think it sounds great sans muffler. Nice little burble/grumble on decel, but no pops (other than that time the timing was thrown off - whoa!)

It's hacked off post-axle, so I need to take it to a muffler shop soon and get some pipe and tips put on. 

16 hours ago, Simeon said:

Drill yourself an air leak into your downpipe - simples.

sadly in a "hack" kinda way this is a workable idea for exhaust note.  I have a stock system ( resonator & tail muffler) on a stock motor which has a small rusted out hole at the tail end of the muffler and it's exactly right for a little growl but nothing loud or Japanese boy racer fart can-ish. 

But what do I or Ray know. 

No resonator is gonna get old fast. 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

I've had a few cars with the muffler deleted and always liked the results. I deleted the muffler on the o2 and actually really like the way it sounds but with basically no sound deadening it has definitely gotten old. I recently picked up a Stahl header and once that goes on I'll start researching mufflers to find the right one to turn the volume down. I do get a little bit of noise on down shifts but honestly It leaves me wanting more...

https://youtu.be/QoH1IdvBxDk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I left my stock resonator in place and added an inexpensive Jones 5" straight through muffler which was more experimental/cheap fix to get through inspection and I have grown to like the sound. Truth be told I have never heard it other than from driver seat but at idle it sounds mellow but sporty.

As far as resonators I have made the mistake on cars and SUVs in the past. Leave them in place!! The droan sound will ruin any long trip, but I have noticed doesn't make much of a difference out of the muffler...maybe takes a little "raspy" sound out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a