• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have to come clean - we bought an E90 M3

saaron

I always wanted a muscle car, so now I have one.  :)  It's not a Mopar, Chevy, or Ford, but a little 221 cube Bimmer.  

It has records from new, and seems to have been nicely taken care of.  Last two owners barely drove it - the last five years or so it was a sunny-day-only car. 

It just clicked 60k miles as I drove it home.  It has very little wear and tear on it - either the body or interior.  

I like that it is a four-door (I know, I'm odd), and it has a 6 speed, which I like, too.  

Have to start the oil analysis.  PO said he did it two years ago and it was fine.  We shall see.  Hope it's OK in that regard. 

It sure is fun to drive.  And it is subtle, which I like - it doesn't scream...anything, really.  Pretty much under the radar.  Also comfortable...good seats, and the suspension isn't overly stiff.  I kind of wish it had 18" wheels instead of 19"...lousy roads around here.  

Will pretty much drive it when I need to.  I don't commute, so it isn't a true "daily" in my mind, but it is my main car now.  

The plates are back in the hands of the PO.  

Scott

EIJszml9ST6Dfg%JTOHsPg.jpg

T770yXQQQKKYD5lOfZqVgA.jpg

J6M2IwjySMqC1L6xJR7Srw.jpg

labnlRMyT3GozXLOAvwNkA.jpg

8Qa%Kx37R+OqcDq8UFI3tA.jpg

qK93UHhARxuAXCSTJw7LZA.jpg

Edited by saaron
Upload pics.
  • Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I test-drove one of these a few years ago at a BMWCCA gtg at the dealer. I rode with another guy and we took turns driving it. The other fellow was extremely eager for me to turn it over to him after I'd driven it. Then the way he drove it was downright scary. He must have watched those Fast & Furious movies. A fast car that will roar when pushed hard.

• Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Just washed it, finally.  And got rid of the goofy plates.  

It's a pretty color - sometimes it looks silver and sometimes it is very blue.

Scott

LUYojT7cS+WqwfpJTDWYHQ.jpg

02ing since '87

Needs some chrome polish on those exhaust tips?. They will get blackened quickly.  Look closely at the rear edge of the door seals on the front. They easily get torn from the seat belt slamming into them when unbuckling while the door is open.  I see this on many BMW's. The seals are very thin.

Our E90 is still at the dealership awaiting warranty coverage repairs to the oil filter housing (leaking again after the first repair in 2015), leaking valve cover gasket and leaking front struts.  Buying an extended warranty has been the best thing we did. I took it in for the 17V-676 blower motor wiring recall and an oil service.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

And another thing- replacement wiper blades are $55 from the dealership (for the set). No inserts on these cars. Make sure to get the correct type- there are two.  Make sure the parts department and service folks (if you ever take it in) makes a copy of your CCA card for discounts.

You can buy the engine air and cabin filters from Amazon.  They have the good brands.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

28 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Buying an extended warranty has been the best thing we did.

I was thinking about that.  Can I buy a warranty now?  Or did you buy it when the factory warranty was up?  Where is it from?  

How do you clean and polish your exhaust pipes?  You probably have that figured out.  The X5 and GLI both get sooty really fast.  I read somewhere it is related to the direct injection.  I could take a crack at them today.  

Looking forward to spending some time on it today - I've been busy and haven't been able to really poke around it a whole lot.  I need to do little stuff like pair my phone with it, get my seat settings correct and saved, program the M button, and get the blinkers to do the "three clicks" lane-change thing when you touch them.  

I'll look at the door seals, too.  

And probably just stand at the back while it is running and listen to it.  

Scott

02ing since '87

Extended warranty was thru the dealer when we bought the car. Car had 17,412 miles on it and was a lease return (but strangely not a CPO car).  Our Contract is called "The Mechanic" platinum coverage.  60 months /75 k miles price in 2014 was just under $3k. Coverage is beyond the factory warranty. They pressed us for extended warranty on the run flat tires. We declined it. Be prepared for expensive tires on your car.  

For the tips, just use any chrome polish. I use Turtle Wax liquid.  

Jim Gerock

Pairing the iPhone was easy for Susan. Our car has nav but we don't use it.  

Weird thing with the phone: if she is on her cell inside the house and I start the car, I can hear her conversation automatically in the car. If I end the call, it hangs her up. Spooky.

Jim Gerock

Nice pick-up Scott.  I recently landed in a new Bimmer myself...  The 3-blinks lane change works when you just slightly activate the lever, versus a full pull of it (which stays on until cancelled), you'll get then hang of it. ;-)

Jim - My guess is your spooky scenario is likely due to you & your wife sharing a single AppleID, and you having Apple's "handoff" activated.  I believe it's a newish bug within iOS 12 which hopefully gets fixed soon.  Meantime, you might consider turning off Handoff if it's too annoying...

Tom

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hey Tom -

Yeah, the 3 blink box was not checked in the iDrive.  I checked it, so now it does what I want it to do.  As I've learned with these newer ones..."that's adjustable...somewhere."  

What is your new Bimmer?  Don't be coy...

Scott

02ing since '87

Scott,

I picked up a CPO 2016 435iX Gran Coupe with most options, incl the Track Handling Package in August.  I'm totally impressed... It's the new main ride.

Yeah, you're right, you're driving a network of programable computer modules.  Especially if you add custom-coding via BimmerCode and such, to go beyond what's offered via iDrive.  (My fave  such mod - hold the comfort access area on the door 2 secs and the mirrors auto fold.  Tied for a close second is ability to turn off Active Sound and open the dual Exhaust flap...). 

Tom

Edited by visionaut

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Oh yeah - I like that body style a lot.  There was one here that I really thought about - it was M Sport.  The styling is great and I love the N55 - we have a '14 X5 with that engine.  It's a honey.

Scott

02ing since '87

• 4 months later...

I got the Blackstone analysis back today, and it is all good.  Everything looks fine.  I’ll keep on doing it to get trends going.  It was a relief...I wan’t expecting it to be bad but you never know.  

I love the car.  It is great.  So much fun.  Makes every little trip exciting.  I’ll drive it to Vintage this year since my 02 is mia.  I’ll find out what it’s like to park “across the way”.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87