• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina Gr.2 (back on all fours)

markmac

Getting ready to send the car off to have the steering re-freshed - which it is in dire need of - its beyond me how the car was safely driven the way it is now (scary as hell).  Its been a really long time since the car has been off jackstands and even longer with out the motor.  I had forgotten how low to the ground the car is, I measured 27" from the top of the turn signal to the floor.  Sharing a few photo's....Slowly but surely....

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 8

Looking better and better--when will you debut it?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mlytle said:

what is being refreshed in the steering?  car needs to be sent out for that?

The car has a rack & pinion steering system homologated for Gr. 2 cars....so its not like it has a steering box and a bunch of off-the-shelf steering bits I can get from the dealer...The way the rack is attached to the cross member is jenky (and I acquired a new Motorsport e-21 quick ratio rack that is replacing the old one), new drop steering arms need to be fabricated for the new knuckles, bump steer sorted out, new outer tie rods/radius rods...and a few other odds/ends.  Question answered?  (really I have spent enough money, I do what I can (and that has been a lot) but I do know my limitations - steering in a car like this is somewhat important in my opinion - something you don't 'cheapo' out on or scrimp....)...This is some of the old stuff

66072182.jpg

66072199.jpg

66072203.jpg

66072369.jpg

66072538.jpg

Edited by markmac

12 minutes ago, mike said:

Looking better and better--when will you debut it?

mike

Not sure really.  The steering thing shouldn't take but a couple of weeks (I think).  Two big things after that - Transmission (big, big).  My 235/5 dogleg is junk.  I am either going to get a ZF S5-18/3 (which is the smart but expensive choice) or possible the Retro Engineering straight cut gears built back into my 235/5 housing - also not inexpensive.  The other is the fuel tank/can/cell.  Hoping to work with Forrest at Kooglewerks on the can.  After that it is pretty minor stuff...that all takes a certain amount of time and money.  I would be pretty stoked to be at that place late spring this next year.

I never measured it.  The strut itself is an Alpina CSL racing strut that has a Bilstein insert in it similar to the Alpina/Bilstein inverted units that you occasionally see for 2002's - insert threads through the bottom of the strut housing.  The strut housing is pretty stout - aside from being boxed its 52mm in diameter, threaded at the top for coil over but uses a standard diameter progressive rate spring (very short).  An Alpina 'red dot' strut is valved at 220/120.  These are valved at 440/180.  I am 250lbs and can sit on the car and barely move it.  This car ran in a number of 4, 6 and 12 hour races, they utilized some of the same parts in this car as they did in their CSL's (Suspension, Brakes & Wheels).

• Like 1

The car was crashed a few times, some of the sketchy work (the rusty looking pitman arms) were the work of someone else along with the steel drop steering knuckle) those are being re-made, some changes are in order to get the bump steer right.  I had new knuckles fabricated some time ago along with new pins so I won't be having a mismatched set (an old aluminum one + one cobbled together from steel).  The old steering rack had a 4mm pocket machined out of it to clearance the dry sump oil pan - one more reason someone other than me is doing this work - would rather not machine a notch out of the new rack which means re-positioning the mounting points (and possible in so doing having to pull the motor).  This is all my bad, should have sorted it out before this point....old and new below

23561742_2216627758362736_748663511516336483_n.jpg

23559414_2216627665029412_4400277748670693221_n.jpg

23722587_2216627661696079_1535711592953858969_n.jpg

Ah, much nicer looking!  That is a lot less scary, lol.  Race cars need a lot of forward thinking while building. I have an old p-car that has had many "new additions" to it by many people. It is comical to see all the after thought cuts and welds.

Once you get yours all sorted, it will be a very cool car. I can't wait to see it done! (and hear it, vids please :) )

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

Most of the jenky stuff was done after Alpina sold the car off (1976'ish), a guy by the name of Ricci Ricciardo purchased it and raced it all over Italy/Sicily - it has a whole nuther history.  The cars were just tools and did make the company's some money if they won and press for them racing, but when the rules changed as they often did they were done with the cars, often sold off.  Porsche kept some of theirs, likewise BMW, but others like Alpina and Schnitzer, GS just offed them and moved on.  Alpina has a few still (A CS I believe and their Grp A M3) and Schnitzer has several including their 1.4 turbo 2002 and of course both of these companies are on a much smaller scale than either Porsche or BMW

I have shared these here before - engine dyno work. Enjoy

Edited by markmac
  • Like 2

Same car.  Later though.  At this point they moved the radiator from the back up to the front where it was normally mounted.  It almost does look blue but is actually black.  This was really the break-out of the Alpina 'Deko' stripes as far as I know the car ran its first race in these colors May 1975 (Brno Czechoslovokia) - Harald Grohs/Jorg Denzel - DNF (Conrod)....which explains a number of things I found with the motor.  Alpina raced it twice more then retired it.  As sick as it sounds - the black paint I think is really cool and is tempting to re-shoot it.  The body is good enough to pull it off and have it look good.  I have the color codes from Alpina in case I were to do that....I think too many steps backward now though.....(Maybe)

222_zpszgr5xmwj.jpg~original.jpg

Alpina 2002 Gr. 2 1975-1.jpg

• Like 3