NYNick

Mystery window? Springs

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

At the bottom of my interior parts bin I found these two springs at the front of the picture rattling around. There were only a few bits left in there so I thought they went with the vent windows. Also there’s one flat plastic washer I’m not sure where that goes either.

I checked Realoem and didn’t find they go with the vent window. Does anybody know about either or both?

As a bonus, you can have all those brand new binder clips I got for the headliner for the price of shipping them! Hell, you can have them even if you don’t know about the springs!

Thx

NickIMG_0274.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the flat washer and spring go behind the window cranks. They are there to keep the crank off the vinyl (if it weren’t there I’d assume we’d all have rips/tears around the hole for the crank!).

Just went through this reattaching the door panel to my driver's door:

Cup-shaped washer and concentric spring go under the vent window knob, and of course the center section of the vent window knob snaps in place.  Before doing so, note the hole on the back side of the knob.  That's for inserting an allen wrench to pop the center section off without damage.  

The straight spring goes underneath the window crank, as does the flat plastic washer.  There is a smaller washer that goes between the inner door handle and the upholstery panel, but no spring.  On the two window cranks, the washers are to retain the springs; on the door handle, it's just a finish washer to cover the ragged hole in the upholstery.\

mike

Sorry Mike, you have them backwards, straight spring goes under the vent window knob, the concentric spring goes under the window handle. I also put one under the door release handle as well

#12 in the diagram

Front window guide 
Sponsored links

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes

Huh!   Mine have been backwards for as long as I've owned the car (1978!)...It came with a replacement driver's door from the dealership--apparently that door was damaged in shipping and it was replaced either by Hoffman at the west coast make-ready site, or by the dealer before the car was sold.  So whomever reinstalled the innards on that door after it was painted and hung got the springs backwards, and I never questioned how "the factory" did 'em!  

mike 

Yep and make sure the small end of the conical spring goes towards the door and the larger part goes against the door panel.  They are used to give some " puffiness "   around the 3 different handles   It actually helps to keep the door panel from getting damaged around the opening.       I buy them in boxes of 25 because I do a lot of restoratiomn work and most times they are missing. When they are in, it certainly makes the door panel look better.