Yale

Turbo mufflers

9 posts / 443 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

The center resonator has quite a few holes at this point. Though welded shut I assume this will continue to a problem. What are people doing about turbo muffler parts these days? Anyone remaking them?

Edited by Yale
Added some detail.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:30 PM, Yale said:

The center resonator has quite a few holes at this point. Though welded shut I assume this will continue to a problem. What are people doing about turbo muffler parts these days? Anyone remaking them?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2291-EUR-07-1974-114-BMW-2002turbo&diagId=18_0331

Unless you need the side exit, then you will have to cut and weld on a proper extension, sometimes using the old pipe if it is not too rusty.

Of course I have a side exit version. Though there is a center muffler and pipe fitted at this point. 

I just replaced my whole exhaust system for similar reasons. Carl Nelson ordered the late version from BMW in Germany and modified to suit my ‘74. Works, fits and sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was searching my archives and came upon this company in England making exhausts, though no side exit, you might be able to convince them to do so.

www.quicksilverexhausts.com

HTH

On 12/6/2018 at 11:47 PM, Einspritz said:

Unless you need the side exit, then you will have to cut and weld on a proper extension, sometimes using the old pipe if it is not too rusty.

Forgive my ignorance, what's the side exit discussed here? Any pictures??

5 hours ago, dlacey said:

Forgive my ignorance, what's the side exit discussed here? Any pictures??

I believe the turbo 2002 was equipped with either a center or right side muffler configuration (at the rear apron).  A true "side exit" exhaust is typically found on race cars.  

Thanks now I understand... centre or side exit in the rear valance...  i was thinking more ankle-burner: