• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the symptons of valves out of adjustment?(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

they're out of adjustment.

You can put your hand up to the valve cover and move it from front to back to isolate which valves need adjustment the most. When you hand covers the problem valves, the clicking noise will get noticeably lower.

make sure to adjust all the valves, though.

Guest Anonymous

But don't forget if you make them too tight the valves can be damaged. Better a noise than silence.

Guest Anonymous

and it sounds much better but you still hear a slight clack. $49 bucks, he went over the whole thing again when he was done to make sure they were good, offered to buy the car and then asked where he could get one :)

I gave him the FAQ's address, he may be stopping in.

Guest Anonymous

Tight valves will cause a loss of power and rough idle. When i got mine

some were very tight, bummed me out.

Guest Anonymous

loose ones make noise. Tight valve burn, at first the car is hard to start as they get tighter is harder the they burn I'm literally burn. Thee reason the car is hard to start is because the valve is partially open, and they burn because they never touch the seat which is what helps the valve cool down. Problems can also arise from loose, but the big damage is tight ones.

Guest Anonymous

I prefer to take the spark plugs out to make it easy to turn the motor by hand.

It may still clack after adjustment. That indicates yur rockers or shafts or both are worn.

Want some valve adjusting fun? Come over next time my p-car needs an adjustment. It's a royal painski unless you drop the engine.

Guest Anonymous

Take a piece of cardboard cut the size of your radiator and tape it on. This will keep you from dinging up the fins while your'e using a wrench to turn the crank.

---------

BigDog

'76 2002 (I need to do this too)

Guest Anonymous

I just put the car in 4th, and roll it forward (on a hard flat surface) as I

move from valve to valve.