• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removal of parking brake cables

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im trying to remove my old rusted parking brake cables. My problem is the metal piece on the end of the rubber section that seals the end of the guide tube is rusted to the guide tube. Ive tried almost eveything to get them apart but cant really reach it because the sub-frame is in the way. Anyone have any ideas how to remove it?

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://dalex.741.com

And a battery powered drill(I have a 14.4V DeWalt). I jacked up one wheel, pulled the cable to the rear of the car (including using vise grips to "unscrew" the rubber/metal sheathing from the piece that was stuck. Next, I cut the cable as close to the stuck piece as possible. Then, selected a drill bit that was the same size as the metal pieces' diameter inside the guide tube. Use the new cable as a guide, or send me a follow-up and I'll go out to the garage and find out the size. Position the drill above the subframe (this is very tight,but can be done), make sure the drill bit is in the stuck piece, and drill. Should only take a minute on each wheel ad these pieces are made of a soft metal. Once the piece is out, vacuum that end and then push the new cable through, which should clean any other debris by pushing it out in the passenger compartment.

Dave

Guest Anonymous

I dont think i can fit an angle grinder up there or else i would have tried that.....didnt think of simply drilling...duh.

Guest Anonymous

If I could have done that, vice-grips are always my first resort! I was able to drill them out however so thanks for the tip on that. If anyone else is trying this beware if the metal that coils around the cable breaks off inside....took me forever to drill out on the side that happened to.