• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 1600-2 Shell

dasfrogger

Price: $10000

Description:

I'm considering selling my long term 1600-2 project. Priorities have changed and It's time to look at letting this one go. If you're looking for a project, this would be an incredible starting point. My loss, your gain, yada yada.

The important details:

January 26, 1967 Build, VIN 1515129

One of the earliest sunroof Cars in the country

Originally Sahara, Soda blasted on a rotisserie and completely color changed to Derby Grey.

The Car started life in California and was extremely dry and rust free before we put it it on the rotisserie. The little rust that we found has been completely mitigated.

The car carries a salvage title from a rear end accident, but as you can see from the photos the body has been completely and professionally repaired.

The shell currently has lots of fresh Ireland Engineering suspension parts - poly bushings, reinforced control arms, boxed trailing arms, IE sways (front is the deep bar for motor swaps), etc. I've also installed Dynamat in the interior of the car.

The car would come with it's matching numbers block, transmission, and an extra 1.6 (118 head) long block. I've got an insane amount of parts (new, NOS, and quality used) that are available for separated negotiation to the buyer. Nearly everything required to reassemble the car + a rebuilt SETA 2.8i m20 & e21 323i 5speed.

Hundreds of photos here: (make sure to view the sub albums) http://s590.photobucket.com/user/johndmetz/library/1600-2

Project Blog: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/136403-1967-1600-2-some-assembly-required/

Questions? Ask em. I don't need to sell the project, but would like to. If it doesn't sell, I'll build it eventually. I'm not wild about the idea of abandoning this project, but don't want the car to languish in storage. I'm open to offers, especially if you're interested in some of the parts.

IMG_4468.thumb.JPG.161e2bd8fc7ea8e8e07281ea6f85f4be.JPG

Edited by dasfrogger
  • Like 3

I'm considering selling my long term 1600-2 project. Priorities have changed and It's time to look at letting this one go. If you're looking for a project, this would be an incredible starting point. My loss, your gain, yada yada.

The important details:
January 26, 1967 Build, VIN 1515129
One of the earliest sunroof Cars in the country
Originally Sahara, Soda blasted on a rotisserie and completely color changed to Derby Grey.
The Car started life in California and was extremely dry and rust free before we put it it on the rotisserie. The little rust that we found has been completely mitigated.
The car carries a salvage title from a rear end accident, but as you can see from the photos the body has been completely and professionally repaired.

The shell currently has lots of fresh Ireland Engineering suspension parts - poly bushings, reinforced control arms, boxed trailing arms, IE sways (front is the deep bar for motor swaps), etc. I've also installed Dynamat in the interior of the car.

The car would come with it's matching numbers block, transmission, and an extra 1.6 (118 head) long block. I've got an insane amount of parts (new, NOS, and quality used) that are available for separated negotiation to the buyer. Nearly everything required to reassemble the car + a rebuilt SETA 2.8i m20 & e21 323i 5speed.

Hundreds of photos here: (make sure to view the sub albums) http://s590.photobucket.com/user/johndmetz/library/1600-2
Project Blog: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/136403-1967-1600-2-some-assembly-required/

Questions? Ask em. I don't need to sell the project, but would like to. If it doesn't sell, I'll build it eventually. I'm not wild about the idea of abandoning this project, but don't want the car to languish in storage. I'm open to offers, especially if you're interested in some of the parts.

IMG_4468.thumb.JPG.161e2bd8fc7ea8e8e07281ea6f85f4be.JPG

Hello
Looks nice what is your asking price please!!
Thank you
Rey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

@rey949 - asking 10k for the car as it rolls and some basic extras. Working on an inventory of all the other parts now, hope to be done before I leave town this coming weekend. 

If if you’d like, let’s talk this week. I’d planned on calling about Bob’s upcoming visit anyway. 

Thanks!!

I loved that 1600-2 when it was still a Sahara beater. I had a blast driving it through Greene County with Karl Hendrickson chasing me in my '75 2002. My two-beer buzz led to a heavy foot and a lot of laughs that afternoon.

• Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Frogger, I couldn’t sleep last night and read your whole project blog while my wife snored next to me.

I’ve got VIN 1521026, a ratty Tampico slick top that I’m in love with. Your stories have helped prepare me for the ups and downs of a project run by yourself and on a budget. There were moments in your writing that had me cheering for you and other moments (the dreaded mold infestation) that had me feeling a lot of empathy for your situation.

In the end I hope you can finish the project, the paint still looks damned good and that m20 with the LSD will be mean.

No matter what you decide to do, best of luck to you. And thank you for writing down all your highs and lows for those of us who will attempt to bring back these early ones in the future.

Y

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

12 minutes ago, hellayego said:

Frogger, I couldn’t sleep last night and read your whole project blog while my wife snored next to me.

I’ve got VIN 1521026, a ratty Tampico slick top that I’m in love with. Your stories have helped prepare me for the ups and downs of a project run by yourself and on a budget. There were moments in your writing that had me cheering for you and other moments (the dreaded mold infestation) that had me feeling a lot of empathy for your situation.

In the end I hope you can finish the project, the paint still looks damned good and that m20 with the LSD will be mean.

No matter what you decide to do, best of luck to you. And thank you for writing down all your highs and lows for those of us who will attempt to bring back these early ones in the future.

Y

Thanks a lot for the kind words - that really means a lot. I am supremely dissapointed that I haven't finished the car and not thrilled about the prospect of selling it. This is definitely one that I will regret if it does sell.

I've made the comment in other places that i've probably jumped the gun a little bit on listing the shell for sale. I'm still in the arduous process of compiling a spreadsheet for all the parts I've purchased and collected for this project over the years (that are/will be for sale separately from this listing of the shell) and am not really prepared to be able to adaquetly represent the project beyond what i've offered above. I listed early because i know this would need to go to a unique buyer and finding that buyer could take a significant amount of time.

Who knows, maybe in the process of making the list and talking with people about the car things will change and I'll get back to work. But after staring down many hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that need to be spent on my 73 project , I'm having a difficult time accepting doing it again. Work has been busier than ever and I'm not home much - it's all added up to a re-examining of priorites.

While I'm clearly conflicted, I want to do right by the car. I figured it would be time to see if there was someone else out there who could make that happen. If not, i'll certainly do my best and I hope to drive it one day either way.

Thanks agian and best of luck with your project! These early cars are so cool, and Tampico is an awesome color!

Jake

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jackhossross said:

Did you prepare the transmission tunnel for the larger transmission?

I’m not sure if I remember reading that in your build thread. You’ve done amazing work.

JR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We did not. It’ll still need to be hammered out to fit. 

Thanks for  the kind words. It’s been an awesome experience. 

Hi dasfrogger

Lovely work! Reminds me of my last '02. I would love to buy it and do it justice. Lots of desirables. Timing is slightly off though. There is certainly nothing wrong with the project languishing for a while; you may just need a few months to recharge.

All the best,

Bill

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

On 2/8/2019 at 7:46 PM, billpatterson said:

Hi dasfrogger

Lovely work! Reminds me of my last '02. I would love to buy it and do it justice. Lots of desirables. Timing is slightly off though. There is certainly nothing wrong with the project languishing for a while; you may just need a few months to recharge.

All the best,

Bill

Thanks Bill! Its a really great project and I'll be very sad to see it go. I'm certainly not in a hurry, If it sticks around and i end up building it one day It'll be great. I'd love to get it on to someone else who can do it justice in a faster timeline though.

• 3 weeks later...

Excited, yet sad, to see her for sale. You’ve been an amazing owner of it, Jake. She’s a beauty.

I bought 1515129 from Karl in 2011 and ended up selling it to Jake when I moved from Ohio to Colorado in April 2012. 

I’ve thought about this car many a nights. Having owned two other 2002s since then, and none now, I’ve dreamt of buying it back after seeing what you’ve given it. 

Unfortunately, with a house purchase pending, a wedding and kids on the way, it’s definitely well off my financial radar. Comically though, my fiancé knows this car well. As my first 02, and an intriguing one, she knew it was the reason I adopted a 73 and a 75 project, which she willingly supported. 

It it truly is a good car. The salvage title should be a mute point as it’s not suffered an ill fate because of it, redone very well, it really was “rust free” from a 2002 standpoint and Jake has done a hell of a job giving her some love. I’ve followed the progress over the last 7 years, from a distance and I wish I was in a spot to talk about buying it back.

Best of luck on the sale sir, she’s a car worth buying and getting back out there to love and enjoy. 

Cheers,

Jake in Colorado 

• Like 1

- Jake

Current: 1975 2002 Automatic - 2010 Tacoma DCSB - 1997 Buell S3

Missed: 1967 1602 - 1973 Inka 02 - 1983 533i - 1995 325i - 2004 530i - 2004 X3 - 1999 R1100S - 2000 R1100RT - 2003 3.0 Z4 - 2004 325Ci - 2008 328Xi - 2009 135i - 1999 E36 M3 

1 hour ago, rover1 said:

will you ACCEPT  $20k?

For just the shell? Heck yes - that’s 10k over asking. 

Im guessing you want parts with it too. That all depends on the parts package that you want. Send me a PM with your phone number, let’s talk. 

Edited by dasfrogger

• 10 months later...

Bump - still on the fence about this one. 

I'm back on the horse and plan to make slow progress, but competing priorities continue to get in the way. I'd like to see this car on the road and don't have to be the one to get it there. 

If someone is looking for a great start to a project, this is it.