djminkin

Canadian ti owners

38 posts / 2612 viewsLast Reply

I know this is a  bit late, but here are some pictures of a Canadian 2002 TI Dashboard.  I purchased this car from the very cool Tony Robertson several years ago, and drove to outside of Toronto to pick it up . The car was very original. I kept all the original pieces and I've only changed seats and steering wheels, as well as the road wheels around from time to time.

Best regards, Peter

IMG_2799.JPG

DSCN8857.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

DSCN8848.JPG

DSC02417.JPG

• Like 1

Hi,

Never too late! Interesting. A few questions...What is the clip attached to the valve cover driver's side? It has the small overriders but carries marker lights? Were the marker lights on it as you bought it? The shift knob is also interesting with no shift pattern on the dash face but on the knob itself. Never seen one like that and carrying the dogleg pattern. Did it have a dogleg and LSD as delivered? I thought the knobs were all black plastic, or the wooden option (replacements) without shift pattern. Otherwise it looks just like my ti, including the snorkelitis but you have a nicer color. 

Regards,

Andrew

Very nice.  Came with the very rare CR 5 speed?  Nice. The original ti brochure does show this shift knob with that option. It is still available if one wanted to convert to 5 speed. Nice car. 

Hi,

The brochure II/70 here on the site shows a shift knob with a white pattern on a thumbnail image, but the larger picture of the interior is with the blank knob with a slightly different form (or looks that way). Is the knob with the shift pattern thicker at the head of the knob (like the one above) or does it have the same dimensions as the unmarked plastic knob (like the one in the brochure)? Does anyone have a certificate from BMW Classic where the presence or absence of a 5-speed or LSD is mentioned on a ti? I was scrounging for pictures, looked up the old gold portfolio and there is a picture on pg.40 which appears to show a knob with a pattern, the author however goes on to say that the LSD is missing from the option list (Foreign Car Guide, Jan 69). Not sure how well informed all of the journalists were an what actually was on the order  

Andrew

Hello my TI brothers,

This car came with a factory close ratio five-speed gearbox. The original owner was disappointed, he wanted an overdrive five-speed. Tony Robertson who owned this car prior to myself spoke with the original owner. The original gear shift knob was taken off and replaced with one from a girlfriend early on. I found a correct five-speed dog leg gear box shift knob and put it on the car, has my TISA also has one. The metallic tab on the valve cover is one I made to locate the fuel line. The marker lights/Turn signals on the car are as I bought it. I was surprised, I thought it would have European turn signals. I bought a set for the car but have not gotten around to putting them on. The small front bumper over riders are correct, they are European specification. The Dashboard has the early chrome trim. As regards the earlier question, no brake light is located on the instrument cluster. The dashboard should be in early three-piece design.

The color was originally Granada red, the car was repainted non-– original BMW  Verona red. 

The car was originally Ziebart -ed and has required significant rust repair. The front nose was replaced in Canada. On The car is fun to drive and has Bill Stein heavy duty shock absorbers and lowering springs on it. I rebuilt all the brakes but have otherwise largely left it alone other than body work. It is something of a time capsule, which I appreciate more and more in life.

Best regards, Peter

PS, Tony is leaning against the car in the first picture. Tempus fugit, this was several years ago. I believe he is living in Vancouver now, he is in many ways the Godfather of the 2002/1600 TI section.

DSCN7971.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

DSCN8850.JPG

DSCN8826.JPG

• Like 2

Great pictures! Brings context to the car and its history.

Did you ever request the Certificate or the email VIN info request from BMW regarding the car? I wonder if they provide the same infos in both situations.

Its interesting that it has the kmh speedo but marker lights... Canada went metric in 1970 but I suppose the signs and cars started to be delivered with kmh only later. I like the seat too... I have later Recaros in mine but haven't found a suitable replacement.

Andrew

I am looking for engine bay pics from original 1600Ti brochures. I have a stack of early NK/501/2000Ti/700 brochures, but not quite what I need. Thank you for any pics,

Nate Williams 

nwilliamsscr@yahoo.com 

Andrew

This is the OEM shift knob for a 235/5 as shown in the 2002TI brochure.

i believe the shift knob is still available.

This one came from Maximillian in the 90s.

The hand written part number on it is:

23 41 1 666 170

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

• Like 2