• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian ti owners

1 minute ago, djminkin said:

I bought the Bristol car from Rey Rivera.  

Wow! Wish I had known about it. Please keep us updated on your progress.

ps: I have several sets of Solex 40PHH carbs as spares from my car's build if you need some. Not sure if you are going to run them versus Webers.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Someone had mentioned it was not one of the original 50 cars. Per bmw it was originally sent to Canada. What qualifies it as the original 50?

Read this thread. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down. There were approximately 50 ‘tis originally delivered to Canada. They’re known as the “Original 50”

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/222767-how-many-are-left/

1 hour ago, djminkin said:

Well you see what bmw wrote me. It was delivered to Canada.  Not that it matters but that’s probably not accurate. 

You need to touch base with Jon Poole who lives in GA and drives his father's 2002ti.  They are from Canada. Jon is in the middle in this picture.

IMG_2114_zps7a35442c.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 11/25/2018 at 5:26 PM, djminkin said:

Well you see what bmw wrote me. It was delivered to Canada.  Not that it matters but that’s probably not accurate. 

Although I absolutely applaud the research current owners have done regarding the number of ti’s that entered North America, I suspect we will never know the precise number that were brought in. I see two separate and distinct groups of North American imports.

First, if — and this has long been my dream — BMW Group Archives could and would digitize their records from the ‘02 era, we could immediately sort those records and see not only how many were delivered to North America but also the VIN’s for each and every ti factory-imported into North America! Oh yeah, and the color, too!

Clearly, djminkin, your Polaris metallic ti is one of these cars. Our inability to identify this first group of officially-imported ti’s is particularly frustrating because the data actually exists: each and every ti VIN is in BMW’s records, and the importer, retail dealer, or a country of original delivery for each and every ti is in those records!

Second, what the BMW records would not show are the ti’s imported into North America after legal delivery into other markets, e.g., Germany, France, U.K., etc. And these importations could range from virtually new ti’s during the era through current importations. I wonder if Canadian governmental record-keeping — with respect to vehicle importation — goes back sufficiently to capture the ti era and if it does, if those records are sufficiently detailed to consistently distinguish between, say, a 2002 and a 2002ti...

Since this latter task seems enormous and its results seem un-certain, I remain convinced that efforts should first be focused on convincing BMW Group Archives to digitize their records and make such records openly available to the public.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Bmw has a few people that look into the data base and forward the info. I’ve found over the years, they can be pretty specific to city and dealer in Europe but not in North America.  My European ti which was discovered by Rey in Texas originally came from zizenhausen in Germany.  When you ask bmw about cars from the us and Canada they simply say the car was delivered to North America for us and Canada for Canada 

Hi,

I  bought the certificate for my ti once upon a time, originally delivered in Germany and stayed within a few miles of the dealership for the first 30 years of it's life. Dealer name known, now defunct, so unfortunately not that helpful. Not sure what the survival rate of the dealerships is today, but growing up on Long Island it seemed that not many "imported" car dealerships lasted a long time except for a few big multi-brand dealers. I was disappointed that BMW only knew the exterior color and build dates. The British Heritage museum that provides records on historic Land Rovers has generally more detail than BMW.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 10:25 AM, djminkin said:

...When you ask bmw about cars from the us and Canada they simply say the car was delivered to North America for us and Canada for Canada 

This is partly because the nature of importing to the U.S. and Canada, through sole or limited importers, contrasted with a direct consignment or sale arrangement in Europe.

The U.S. market had Hoffman Motors Corp as the “sole importer” until approximately the end of 1974/beginning of 1975. But ownership — risk of loss, benefit of gain — was fully transferred from BMW A.G. to Hoffman Motors Corp before the cars went on the ship. And they were no longer BMW’s asset or problem: they were Hoffman Motor Corp’s!

The dealerships during this era were Hoffman’s dealerships, not BMW’s. So Hoffman maintained records — now unfortunately lost — of the cars’ Ports of Entry, delivering dealership, etc.

Once BMW of North America (“BMW NA”), a BMW subsidiary, assumed the role of sole importer for the U.S. — no longer an independent entity — information was maintained by BMW NA, including interior color, delivering dealer, and initial delivery date (to the retail customer). Sadly, this latter database is not in the possession of BMW Group Archives, and Archives appears to be completely ignorant of its existence: I’ve tried to tell them about it. But the no-longer-active-on-this-forum c.diesel, while working at a BMW dealership, ca. 2012, was able to pull up this data with nothing but my ‘76’s VIN. He performed this magic for me on a number of BMW NA-imported cars, to prove the data was there in the database.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

So Hoffman maintained records — now unfortunately lost — of the cars’ Ports of Entry, delivering dealership, etc.

Steve - do you know what happened to the lost archives? Is it possible they are still “alive” or were they lost in a fire or something like that?

28 minutes ago, TG2k2 said:

Steve - do you know what happened to the lost archives? Is it possible they are still “alive” or were they lost in a fire or something like that?

I haven’t a clue, Todd!

But Hoffman Motors Corp no longer exists. I would guess that the records were simply discarded at some point before, during, or after the dissolution. Unless, of course...the bookkeeper stuffed the records away in his/her attic and those records are sitting there collecting dust....?

Best regards,

Steve

8 hours ago, djminkin said:

Did the Canadian cars come in through Hoffman motors?

No. There were several importers that divided the Canadian market among themselves. But, again, although there was not a sole importer, importers independent of the factory — akin to Hoffman Motors Corp — handled the Canadian market.

And, yes, someone should track down the names of these Canadian importers — I’ve seen most or all of them mentioned on this forum — and find out if any records survive from the ‘02 era!

Regards,

Steve