• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian ti owners

If anyone has an early car could they please post some pictures of the dash and gauges?  I have an early car that has had some parts swapped out over the years and was wondering if they put the seat belt light on top of the dash and the brake failure circular light to the left of the speedometer.  Thanks 

A5DC11B2-E0DB-4090-8646-0EFB4748CD56.jpeg

What year is your car? I can see the dash cluster housing is from a later model (the lettering around the knobs give it away).

I’m hoping@conserv will chime in here but I believe I can answer all/part of your questions.

The early cars did not have the seatbelt light at all. I believe those came standard around ‘74(?). My guess is that the original dashboard was removed and the replacement was from a later model and had the seatbelt light already installed. Is it actually functional?

The correct dashboard for an early car would be a three piece dash (probably with chrome trim along the bottom edge if it was
VERY early cars didn’t have the brake light failure indicator at all (kind of scary to think about that). However, once they were added they were placed exactly where you see it in your picture. My Jan ‘68 has the indicator light (again, that was the VERY early cars that didn’t have one). I’m hoping Steve knows when the cutover was on the brake light going from non-existent to standard equipment. I actually have a very early dash cluster without the light. If I can dig it up I’ll send a picture.

Well, for starters, happy birthday to your 2002ti! Polaris is a great color too. Hopefully the exterior is still intact! Do you feel like posting additional pictures? I’m sure the other ti owners would love to see them (as would I)!

I have been doing lots of research as I’m restoring a 1968 1600ti that was born January 29, 1968. I’ve had trouble with mine because it seems a lot of the changes made in preparation for the early 02s happened right around this time. Things like football water bottles vs. the round VDO bottles or the sun visors clips (the earlier ones were slightly different... one of these days when I have the two together I’ll take a picture and upload it here). Other things like the shin-level trim was non-existent at the time and the front nose trim and rear trim between the lights was embossed and anodized (try finding those pieces!).

I have had to go through tons of factory photos and brochures (hell I’ve spent hundreds just on those alone), and I’ve often referred to realoem.com as well as having many conversations with other owners to get the correct part numbers. Then the hard part... locating them. You will order things that aren’t correct but fortunately it’s easy enough to sell them. People will misadventure things as “early” with the wrong part numbers (make sure you compare the part to a picture or actual part you know to be correct!). As difficult as this has been, it has also been an amazing, rewarding, journey that allowed me to meet many like-minded individuals with tremendous stories about their childhoods and/or how they came across their ti(s).

The 1600/2002 community is a unique one in that we are all there for each other and regardless of what you do to your car or how original it is, everyone has respect for each other (to each their own, right?!). You don’t see that with all marquees and you certainly don’t have a knowledge base as deep and accurate as the one you will find here (and among other 02-dedicated sites). It’s all there, but if it isn’t, you have an entire community who is watching the posts ready to chime in and help.

Whatever you do, don’t give up... when you reach “the end” you will look at your car and be amazed at how you were able to pull it all together. I am not quite there yet on my ti but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and it’s just making me want to go at it that much harder so I can see it through.

I wish you the best and if there is anything I, or anyone else on the FAQ, can do to help you by all means let us know!!!

That’s funny didn’t even put that together yes it’s birthday just passed. This particular car was in the for sale section recently. It is now red with a tii engine but the original engine came with the car disassembled. I’m also restoring a later 69 ti from Germany in Bristol  that started as Swiss cheese. It’s now in the final stages of being done but just wanted to confirm a few things on the Canadian car as I’m not too familiar.  

1FE092E0-9AD4-451C-A306-02B3E8563795.jpeg

DCA54F9B-E682-4A67-BDBB-3FBF81E921BE.jpeg

Edited by djminkin
  • Like 1

Holy cow: a brace of 2002ti’s! You are a very fortunate guy!

The Archives dates are an important starting point, as one owner may define an early car as a 1966, while many owners appear to refer to all round taillight cars as early cars!

Yes.  I agree with TG2k2. Someone has placed the top piece of a U.S.-spec 1972-73 dashboard in your car, on top of a bottom piece — with chrome fascia trim — that could well be original to your car.  All ti’s, of course, because they are both Euro-spec and pre-date April 1971, used dashboards with chrome fascia trim. Moreover, because all ti’s were Euro-spec, they also should have had (a.) no seat belt warning light, and (b.) knobs marked themselves with icons rather than (English-language) labels surrounding the knob bases.

Thus, you need the top two pieces (binnacle and upper dash) of a Euro-spec three-piece dash to return it to its original configuration.

I don’t know when the brake warning light with test pushbutton was instituted, but it was there by at least 1972, but seems to have been absent on 1968 Euro-spec models. I’m going to guess that the current bezel for your car’s instruments might be of the same date (and perhaps even from the same source) as the dashboard top component. The silver dollar instruments, however, look correct, for a late 1968 car.

The individual instruments, and the back of the cluster, however, are date stamped, and simply removing the cluster and examining the date stamps might help distinguish the original components from the later additions.

By the way, the lone knob visible in your original post probably came over with that dashboard top component.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yes not sure why someone would completely disassemble a ti and cobble it back together with incorrect parts but at least the original engine and body are still in tact and with the car.  I’m started disassembling the car and it will soon go to the body shop. 

Funny how these cars will stay hidden then suddenly appear for sale.  Not long after I bought my 69 (regular 2002), a real 1600ti became available locally. I passed on it but some locals wanted me to buy it and sell my 69 since I really wanted an actual ti.  Someone else bought the ti and I did meet them and have his business card. Wonder if they still have the car.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

58 minutes ago, djminkin said:

Yes not sure why someone would completely disassemble a ti and cobble it back together with incorrect parts but at least the original engine and body are still in tact and with the car.  I’m started disassembling the car and it will soon go to the body shop. 

My suspicion is that the top components — binnacle and upper component — of your ti’s three-part dashboard deteriorated badly, a common fate. The owner found a top component of a U.S.-spec two-part dashboard and replaced your car’s original top components with that dashboard. But perhaps the U.S.-spec bezel or overall instrument cluster worked better with that newer, U.S.-spec dash.

Again, check the dates on those instruments and keep any that are consistent with your car’s manufacturing date. Instruments tend to be the same month as or up to a couple months earlier than the manufacturing date.

Again, you are a lucky guy!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)