• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Year! New Bumpers! 25% OFF stock through January 31st!!

02bumpers

11 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

Good info. Thanks, Chris. I’ll likely be doing your bumpers and trim, but I have some other mechanical and body work to do beforehand. 

As an aside, are there any issues (legally or with insurance companies) removing 76 D.O.T. bumpers? I know they don’t serve any protective purpose above 5mph, but I’m curious if you have any info, either way, as to the outside world’s acceptance of “structural” mods that aren’t structural. My friend did fiberglass bumpers on a 60 something 911, but I don’t think there were ever any regulations on those. 

Thanks again for some great looking products. 

As far as I know the 5mph bumpers that are on the late model 2002's are not within the safety standard for the cars on the road today. The 5mph bumpers are a 40 year old standard so I think you should be good with the switch. I have never heard of an insurance company making a stink about it.  But I am not 100% on this, so proceed with your own judgement. Our bumpers are fairly robust and will be able to absorb some of the energy of an impact but in all reality, a 2002 in any state will take a beating from most cars out on the road today. Any insurance guys have any insight on this? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Teelinger said:

@02bumpers Thanks for the thorough response Chris. Much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for the installation video and supporting documentation.

Do you have an estimate of timing for delivery once a trim order has been placed?

Also, what's your estimate on catching up to back orders on the bumpers? 

Thanks, James

Hey James, 

I am at around 5-6 weeks lead time for sets that are ordered now. This will become shorter once I have an inventory going but that will happen after this first shipment. I will do my best to keep an inventory so you guys don't have to wait, but the sets are going quick and the first shipment is going to have 20 sets in it, half of those have been claimed. 

Lead time is 4-5 weeks for bumper sets. But sets that were ordered from Dec18-april19 will be all caught up in June. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to order your trim but am concerned about why they have to be mounted with the metal clips and not use the plastic ones all around, except in the corners like the originals. I just put my front and rear door panels back on after a total restoration and have no desire to remove them again to be able to get to these metal mounting clips. It's a total pain in the ass especially when the whole area is covered with Dynamat and Dynaliner. Will the plastic clips not hold the stainless moulding?

Thanks

On 5/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, DaveW said:

I'd like to order your trim but am concerned about why they have to be mounted with the metal clips and not use the plastic ones all around, except in the corners like the originals. I just put my front and rear door panels back on after a total restoration and have no desire to remove them again to be able to get to these metal mounting clips. It's a total pain in the ass especially when the whole area is covered with Dynamat and Dynaliner. Will the plastic clips not hold the stainless moulding?

Thanks

It is not guaranteed that the beltline will fit over the plastic clips due to the varying states of integrity of each clip for each 2002. I have successfully installed trim with the clips but I found the worn out clips wouldn't hold the trim effectively. So, I was going to have to replace the old clips with new plastic clips anyway, so I decided to make stainless steel fasteners that will never wear out and will never have to be replaced. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@02bumpers Chris, any updates on the install videos and documentation?

Also, would love to see and hear from anyone who has installed the latest, revised trim sets. How did they fit? Any issues with install?

Thanks, James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

On 7/16/2019 at 11:51 AM, Teelinger said:

@02bumpers Chris, any updates on the install videos and documentation?

Also, would love to see and hear from anyone who has installed the latest, revised trim sets. How did they fit? Any issues with install?

Thanks, James

Hey James,

I'm working on getting the video out here shortly. It will be available to those who purchase the kits. I am past the r&d stage with my exclusive manufacturer and everything is fitting and looking great. I have sent out 5 sets and will pass the feedback along once I get it. I have 10 more sets coming in the next shipment, 5 of which are spoken for and 5 that are available for purchase. I will let you know once the video is finished! Thank you for the interest :)

13 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Chris,

I'm still interested in knowing if you are ready to sell individual trim pieces yet. I would like the 3 hood pieces if possible.

Thanks

Dave, 

The match will be a little off if you decide to go with single pieces. The stainless steel, when compared to the stock anodized aluminum, is much more of a bright mirrored finish. If the mismatch doesn't bother you,  I have a shipment of 10 sets coming in the next couple weeks and could potentially be willing to break up a set if they haven't been sold. I'll keep you posted.