Tim Toohey

Rear seat headrests

22 posts / 850 viewsLast Reply

I have a 1976 2002 Lux model that is pretty stock. I have only owned it for about 2 years. When I bought it, it came with headrests on the rear seat. The headrests matched the headrests on the front seat. Has anyone ever seen this? Maybe this was part of the 1976 Lux package? I am removing them as I prefer the aesthetics without.497841370_rearview2002.thumb.jpg.87213bc40a2316edf28f6d44c29ff28d.jpg

2002 jpg.jpg

I don't believe rear headrests were part of the Lux package.  Also haven't seen a Lux with big USA bumpers as they were not available here (USA).

Other than the rear L badge what makes you think it's a Lux?

I think you may find someone just pushed the posts down the rear of the back seats, I had the same for a while but I prefer without.

In order to fit them correctly you would need to take the headrest tubes from a set of front  seats and have them mounted on the back upright, i have seen it done many years ago, but it’s hardly worth it.

None of the Lux models I have had come with rear headrests, armrest yes but headrest no.

i think they obscure the rear window too much.

Nice car by the way, great colour, but I’m partial to Chamonix!

if you don’t mind me asking, what exhaust are you running?

Edited by SydneyTii

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

I don't believe rear headrests were part of the Lux package.  Also haven't seen a Lux with big USA bumpers as they were not available here (USA).

Other than the rear L badge what makes you think it's a Lux?

Thanks for responding. The rear badge is the only thing that made me think it was a Lux. I did not know the Lux wasn't available in the USA. The L badge probably added by a previous owner? I think I prefer the look without the L, but thought I'd retain it since I thought it original. Hmmm , , , 

45 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

I think you may find someone just pushed the posts down the rear of the back seats, I had the same for a while but I prefer without.

In order to fit them correctly you would need to take the headrest tubes from a set of front  seats and have them mounted on the back upright, i have seen it done many years ago, but it’s hardly worth it.

None of the Lux models I have had come with rear headrests, armrest yes but headrest no.

i think they obscure the rear window too much.

Nice car by the way, great colour, but I’m partial to Chamonix!

if you don’t mind me asking, what exhaust are you running?

I'll take a photo of the rigging done in the trunk to show you how they were installed. Not pretty. (the car is in the shop so it will be a while).

I don't have any special exhaust. Looks and sounds like OEM to me. Why do you ask? Better yet, what do you recommend?

Tim,

I see a North Carolina plate.  Where are you located?  I'm in Charlotte.  Quite a few NC 2002 owners.

Best,

Glen

1 hour ago, Tim Toohey said:

I'll take a photo of the rigging done in the trunk to show you how they were installed. Not pretty. (the car is in the shop so it will be a while).

I don't have any special exhaust. Looks and sounds like OEM to me. Why do you ask? Better yet, what do you recommend?

I thought it maybe something more exotic because the BMW exhaust exits from the rear right hand side.

I have a Tii and I am running the BMW OEM exhaust made by Eberspacher I think, great quality and nice sound.

Tim, if your '76 was a true Luxus, it would have (real) wood trim on the door panel upholstery and velour center sections on the seats.  And I think the carpeting was different on the Luxus models--cut pile rather than square weave, but I may be wrong. 

I've only seen a couple, as they were never imported.  If yours is a real US spec Luxus,it could have been special ordered from the factory by military or diplomatic personnel stationed in Europe.  Stranger things have happened--e.g. Carl Nelson' s US spec 2002 convertible--one of one.

mike

As previously said, the LUX package was only available on Euro-spec cars, and thus disappeared with the end of Euro-spec 1602/2002 production in 1975 (the Lux package was not available on the 1502, which continued in production into 1977).

Rear headrests were never a part of the Lux package.

The headrests you have appear to be from the rear seat of a 3.0S sedan: notice that the supports are curved, not straight like the supports on an ‘02’s front seats.  The headrests, thus, cantilever over the rear seat.

Lastly, I’ve actually thought and talked about this modification for — let me see — about 42 years! But I’d do it with a genuine Lux rear seat, which has a fold-down center armrest. And maybe I’d want the seats to be upholstered in leather, albeit factory style. Who am I kidding? If I haven’t done it in 42 years, it’s probably not happening.... 😉

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

The exhaust changed at some point during '74-'75 and moved towards the center

Edited by golf73

3 hours ago, golf73 said:

The exhaust changed at some point during '74-'75 and moved towards the center

Are you sure, I’ve never seen a standard 02 with a centre exit exhaust, I thought they were all right hand side exit?

13 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

Tim,

I see a North Carolina plate.  Where are you located?  I'm in Charlotte.  Quite a few NC 2002 owners.

Best,

Glen

We were in Apex, NC (suburb west of Raleigh). LIved there 5 years and never saw another '02. We are now in FL, near Orlando.

12 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I thought it maybe something more exotic because the BMW exhaust exits from the rear right hand side.

I have a Tii and I am running the BMW OEM exhaust made by Eberspacher I think, great quality and nice sound.

I will jack the car and take a photo or two. (its at the shop so it may be a while) My recollection is the exhaust exits where the recess/contour is in the rear skirt. 

Are you sure, I’ve never seen a standard 02 with a centre exit exhaust, I thought they were all right hand side exit?
My '75 auto has center exit exhaust. Carb car/non tii.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 11/18/2018 at 5:18 AM, SydneyTii said:

The center-exit exhaust is found on all 1975-76 U.S.-spec cars. I thought the change was related to exhaust temperatures, which were increased with the addition of the thermal reactor exhaust manifold to all 1975 U.S.-spec models and to 1976 U.S.-spec California versions. But that doesn’t explain why the factory turbos switched from right to center exhaust mid-production. (Wild-ass speculation? The factory turbo produced higher exhaust temperatures than other Euro-spec cars and, thus, the same solution used on turbos was applied to late U.S.-spec cars?)

Someone here will know more, fortunately.... ☺️

Below, my ‘76 recently. The second photo shows the detail better. First, the “center” exit was not dead center; it was slightly to the right of center. But, second — if you enlarge the second photo —notice that there is an un-cut-out “ghost” of the more common “right exit” on the rear lower valance. I assume the rear lower valances on the late cars were designed to accommodate either exhaust configuration.

Best regards,

Steve

739AD4ED-AE24-44CA-BE07-6AB6EF9EA5A5.jpeg

25B99A49-4EAE-4CA1-927F-DCE7D2A3565D.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3