• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the largest size tire that will fit in tire well on ti

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What about micro spare tires that share our bolt pattern and will fit? I'd love to get rid of my full sized spare for a micro-spare, I could use the extra spare tire well space for all kindsa stuff!

Anybody know what will fit?

-------------

BigDog

'76 2002 14" BottleCaps, Big Brakes

Guest Anonymous

...suggestions were for VW products, or maybe a Honda-spec unit with the 4X100 pattern. The main concerns would be offset, but with a small tire that may not be as big a deal.

'Course, a friend of my dad's always called them "dumb spares," and I kinda agree. I'd rather have a spare at least close in overall diameter to the other wheels.

Let us know if you find something that definitely fits, though.

-Dave

Colorado '71, 185/65-14s with 185/70-13 spare

Guest Anonymous

I cleaned and painted a stock 2002 spare and put a new tire on it...doen't fit over either front or rear big brake setup.

Guest Anonymous

In one of the car magazines. They took several cars, one I remember specifically was a C5 'Vette, and ran them through 0-60 and the slalom and breaking tests with the 'dumb spare' at a front or rear corner and compared results.

Actually the results were surprising!!! Those things really didn't impact performance to nearly the degree that you would think. If I remember braking distance difference was a NOP, 0-60 time was pretty close, although the long rubber strip left from the spare in the picture was a RIOT, and slalom times didn't suffer much.

I wish I could remember which mag (Road and Track maybe).

--------------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

in my Corrado... I can tell that it definatley hurts performance in dirt and snow :-) Of course I put it on the rear, but I don't need to left foot brake, the rear just slides around...

Why all the exp.? -Corrado wheels bend far to easily.

Guest Anonymous

Inquiring minds want to know? Or was the Corrado 5bolt? I always kind of liked the idea of those cars...

What are you doing to bend wheels? Do I even want to know??

--

BD

Guest Anonymous

I think John is asking about the depth of the spare tire well. 165 mm fits, of course. 185 was too wide for the two cars I checked. 175 fit in one of them, but not the other.

Assuming one wants to keep a 165/80-13 tire as a spare, what (pathetic) tire model is available in that size?

Guest Anonymous

It should bolt up though, clears 11" brakes on the Corrado. The factory (non speedline) wheels are crappy -they are 15x6 and weigh 20lbs each. Mostly bent from off roading -playing rally car :-)

Guest Anonymous

The C5 never had a spare tire, "runflat" tires were standard. This was a packaging choice made to accomadate the switch to the rear transaxle introduced with the C5 in model year 1997.