Sahara

Safe to use an undercarriage washer beneath the engine bay?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm about to buy the pictured tool to clean up the undercarriage of my vehicles. It's mostly going to be used for those that get more road salt and grime exposure, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give the 2002 a spray down with it, but what if it would hurt. I would like to use it under the entire car, and it is supposedly safe to use beneath the engine, but on modern cars that area is usually better protected than it is on the 2002, which is more-or-less open to the road. I know that the 2002's engine bay can survive being exposed to rain and wet roads, but this thing employs high pressure water jets. If it is safe, I would love to use it there to really give a thorough cleaning, but I am concerned that I will damage an electrical component or the wiring. 

85-400-062_16487_600.jpg

Is this thing used with mains water pressure or connected to a high pressure jet wash?

If it’s just mains pressure water then it would struggle to wreck anything that wasn’t already so far gone that it was likely to fail anyway. It might be doing you a favour. I say go for it. 

High pressure might be a little different. I could only see it damaging the wrapping of any wiring looms it came into contact with but then there is not an awful lot that low down in the engine bay. I also say go for it (but maybe just get someone down on their hands and knees to watch the first application and to shout stop if they see anything untoward happening). 

(edited)

It looks to be a High Pressure system, judging by the fitting/arm it's attached to. I'd give it a shot, but would also be a little cautious and maybe wouldn't make it a regular thing. 

Did you also get caught in an early snowstorm and salted in? :) Worst-case, It might blast off the thick protective layer of oil that's keeping something sealed, or protected from rusting.

As Simeon says, wiring might be your biggest concern. I know my old stuff was a bit sketchy in sections, perhaps worth looking to see if there's something fragile or exposed under there.

Edited by 2002Scoob

If it's hooked up to a high pressure washer, it will tear up the foam protector under the pedal box, and possibly even remove any undercoating on the body.  I've also see a high pressure washer strip paint off smooth metal surfaces (like the oil pan) where there's no primer beneath, so be circumspect and just try a plain pressure washer nozzle underneath the car before buying the washer you pictured...

mike

• Like 1

Good points, especially about the Pedal-Box Mike! Fire-wall insulation can be fragile too. Yah... Most of those are crumbling away as-is anyway. 

Sorry guys, my Husky is red, no have a tail, doesn't need rabies vaccinations and plugs in to 110v outlet.

• Like 1