• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a webber 32/36 on my 02. I just took it in to a shop to get set up "properly" assuming that the mechanics would know how to do it. Anyway, it ran great after for 24 hours, then I went to the gas pump to fill up and as soon as I started it at the pump it ran really really rough....tonnes of black smoke does anyone have any clue as to what would cause this intermitiant problem?? mechanic was talking about reed pressure and fuel boiling over in the float bowl??? also said I sould eplace the electric fuel idle shut off?? help please

Guest Anonymous

Time for a new mechanic! I'd guess he may be right about the float, are you using mechanical, or electric fuel pump? Got a pressure regulator?

However, that being said, black smoke, very intersting, don't think that comes from over rich, you've got to be burnin' something other than gas?

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002 Weber DCOE40s (formerly 32/36)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, ya new mechanic in the works (its the 5 bills for nothing that hurts) its a mechanical fuel pump and it giving me 3psi, which I believe is correct. New rings and valve guides/seals so it can't be burning oil?? I'm at a loss been having this problem for months.......I'm thinking weak spark?? I'm running the red coil with a balist resistor @1.8ohms??

Guest Anonymous

Is the choke stuck closed? Is the linkage intact? Maybe this new mech failed to put the cotter pin back in the choke linkage, and it fell apart?

Trust but verify.

Guest Anonymous

unburned fuel (over-rich condition), gray is oil, white is brake fluid, white steam is coolant.

If it ran fine then started smoking suddenly, most likely culprits are a stuck choke or choke linkage, stuck float, or a jet that worked loose and is dumping fuel into the engine.