Booger32

Tii fuel tank pickup assembly

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I just picked up my Tii tank after being coated by Tank Renu and it looks really nice. But I have a question about the pickup/return assembly. I really didn't pay attention to it when I removed it several weeks ago but now trying to install the assembly, the screen end literally hits the bottom of the tank...even with the assembly gasket in place. Has anyone else had this issue? Or IS It an issue at all?

Thanks, Steve 

Could your tank be slightly dimpled now? It probably wouldn’t take much as you want the pick up to go pretty much to the bottom. Maybe get a length of wood or broom handle through the hole and a few sharp taps on the bottom with a hammer  might help. 

• Like 2

Curious, how proud is the sender on top of the tank?  I've never really thought about how close the screen is to the bottom of the tank.  Must be close normally, if you are having issues up top with a raised bottom. 

With the rubber gasket under the assembly, I still have to push on it to get the screws started.

I'm thinking about making a new, thicker neoprene gasket in order to raise the assembly just a little.

I wouldn't do that.  Chances are you would have stress between sender and tank (top and bottom).  Still better to push the bottom down a few millimeters. 

Better yet take it and the sender back to the shop.  They'll sort it out,  or at least they should. 

Sounds like the tank sheet metal has " popped"  Could be from moving it around. Measure to the bottom of the tank to see how much it needs to be moved. There should be only about 2-3 mm clearance between the pick up and the tank.   I would just get a piece of wood/ dowel about the same size as the hole and just give the wood a good push, the tank will probably move out to give you enough clearance. If not, give it a bit harder whack. I sometimes put a folded up towel between the wood and the tank, stops any marks coming off the wood.   This is probably all the shop will do, what else could they do?  Can't really close it off tight enough to pressurize it and it would take a lot to expand a tank. I have had to do this on a few tanks ( and oil pans ) over the years. No big deal.

I also spray the bottom side with an european texture undercoat, gives a little more protection and quietens the fuel slosh noise a bit more,

Thanks, Rick