David Layton

Behr Console Opportunity

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

While it is months away from paint and reassembly, I have the Behr Console test fitted with the vents, knobs, buttons and my Japanese Blaupunkt Frankfurt assembled.  While I have the Ashtray, I have to ask myself "Myself, is there a better use for the ashtray opening?"

Any ideas? 

The radio has the Blaupunkt 6 prong accessory jack.  It is also set up for 4 speaker stereo with a fader control.  So, I am going to have a Bluetooth adaptor for phone and iPod use.

I will be replacing the green plug with a dual USB port a la Kooglewerks consoles.  

Radio in Behr AC Console.jpg

Back-up camera screen?

:D

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Back-up camera screen?

As long as we're not being helpful, a tire pressure monitoring system, airbag warning lights, or reminder to always pay attention and obey traffic laws might fit there as well. Looks too small for an 8-track player, MiniDisc player or Cobra 148 GTL. (It might make for a decent stealth V1 display if you're into such things)

What about another A/C vent?

Seriously, how about a gauge? Not clear what the dimensions of the hole are but you could cut square and then add a gauge on a square plate.  

One older Roundel Magazine (70's) showed a 2002 owner fabricated a plate with either one or two small gauges instead of the ashtray.  Will see if I can find the issue next week.

The location of that ashtray is poor since the vents blow ashes back into the cabin.

I've seen some guys here put in an Audi collapsible cup holder in that spot. 

Also, someone else modified the ashtray to be a phone holder. 

Search if interested in any of those options.

2 minutes ago, David Layton said:

It's a tii, so I have the clock already.

Different timezone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Teelinger said:

Also, someone else modified the ashtray to be a phone holder. 

I did that as well, I just put a reaaaal strong tiny magnet on the inside of the ashtray and one of the metal plates on the back of my phone meant for one of the store bought magnet mounts, works great and is totally invisible 

how about a switch panel that goes to nothing, so you can pretend your turning on a bunch of random crap when people get in the car. Maybe have one labeled "DONT TOUCH" and pretend to accidentally hit it when reaching for the radio, just for fun.

A couple of switches marked for ejector seat arm and launch. Like a big red safety switch. Then if your passenger does something that doesn't please you, merely lean over and hit the arm button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dudeland said:

A couple of switches marked for ejector seat arm and launch. Like a big red safety switch. Then if your passenger does something that doesn't please you, merely lean over and hit the arm button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;-D

4D619B87-CB05-4BB7-91DB-03B1678FF069.jpeg

David, what about a rally clock/timer?

Although this vintage Heuer is an arm and a leg, I've seen modern similar "vintage style" clock/timers for a few hundred dollars.