Slavs

Peoples' reactions to my 02 in LA traffic

67 posts in this topic Last Reply

So besides the occasional thumbs up etc. from other drivers, I also get some annoying reactions to my 1967 1600 - Bristol.

I've summarized some of them below:

The most annoying of all are young drivers of modern BMWs, usually M3s, who pull up next to me and then proceed to cut me off at full throttle.

I guess they have something to really prove to themselves;that their new BMW is faster than my old BMW, and they are going to remind me of that.

And there is the 2002tii syndrome:

Onlooker: "Is that a 72 Tii"

Me: "No it's a 67 1600"

onlooker: "I had a 72tii"

Onlooker: "Is that a 2002Tii"

Onlooker: "I had a 72tii in Iran"

Onlooker: "Is that a 2002Tii"

Onlooker: "My Dad had 72tii in Iran"

And, then there are those who attempt to convince me that I'm wrong about my car:

Onlooker: "What year is your BMW ?"

Me: "It's a 1967 1600"

Onlooker: "No, your car is a 2002, and it came out in 1968. I know, I had a 2002".

Onlooker: "What year is your BMW ?"

Me: "It's a 1967 1600"

Onlooker: "No, your car is a 1987, I had one just like it. It was a 1987"

Onlooker at gas station: "What type of car is that ?"

Me: "The same type as your car, a BMW, but mine is from 1967 "

Onlooker: "BMW came a long way since 1967"

Onlooker at grocery store parking lot: "What type of car is that ?"

Me: "A Zaporozhatc (reference to a Russian boxy air cooled rear engine car)

Onlooker: "No! that is not Zaporozhatz, We had Zaporozhatc in Armenia"

Me: "It's a BMW"

Onlooker: "No ! that is not BMW, I had a BMW"

Onlooker: "How old is your BMW"

Me: "It's a 1967"

Onlooker: "Is that the original color ?"

Me: "Yes, it's the original shade"

Onlooker: "It looks like shiny primer, if you painted it a bright color, it would look so much nicer. My Dad had a red 2002Tii. It looked really nice".

Onlooker: "What type of engine do you have in your BMW ?"

Me: "A BMW engine"

Onlooker: "What size"

Me: "It's a 1.6 liter inline 4 cylinder"

Onlooker: "Only a 4 cylinder, I thought it would be at least a 6. Why didn't they use something bigger"

Onlooker: What type of car is that ?

Me: "A BMW"

Onlooker: Why do you like foreign cars. Why don't you get yourself an American car ?

Onlooker: "Is that a Tii ?"

Me: :No it's a 1600"

Onlooker: It looks just like a Tii "

Onlooker in traffic: "What year is your car ?"

Me: "1967"

Onlooker: "Ha Ha Ha", laughs before driving away.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Simple solution:

Onlooker- "What kind of car is that?"

You- a:

"What kind of car do you want it to be?"

b: "google it."

c: "a Prius."

Sorry. I grew up reading Mad Magazine. They had a recurring bit called Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.

• Like 3

I get some of those silly questions too. I typically don't answer and smile if it's dumb or obvious. I'll answer of I think there won't be a follow up. If it's really dumb, it usually doesn't end well. 

then there is the guy who asks if you want to sell your car (typically at gas stations). I always give him a price that double the value. they never respond back.

• Like 1

I get the pickup driver who pulls up next to me at a redlight " Hey is that one of them rally cars?" Then says " I love it"

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t have any issues with any questions I’ve gotten over the years driving 02’s.  I actually think it’s great that people take notice of the car and ask questions about it.  

• Like 4

My best was a time we were leaving a parking spot in a Walmart lot in Salina, KS and the shopping cart boy in his early teens held up his hand, for us to wait.  He whipped out his phone and wanted a photo.  I think it made his day because he probably had never seen an 02 before.

• Like 3

All I ever get is:

"Cute Car!"

to which I respond "Thanks"

"What year?"

"it's a 74"

"You want to sell it? "

"Nope, and there is a long line ahead of you" I get asked this one alot, people seem to think I don't know what I have and that I am just driving an old car.

I was able to rent an '02 a few times when I visited LA and was amazed at the reaction considering all the incredible cars out there generally.

One of the funniest things ever for me happened at a gas station. A woman parked next to me in her SUV jumped out of her car and asked if it was okay for her to poke her head in and smell the interior. She had owned three of them back in the day and loved that oil/fuel smell!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All exaggeration aside, I’ve never taken it out and not got a thumbs up, long look, or my favorite the window down at the stop light wanting to talk about it.  This summer some guy blasting through the tunnel in a new 911 slowed down and paced me a couple of miles to stare at it, then gave me a wave, and blasted off. Seems these cars make a ,lot of others” peoples day too.

consider us doing a public service. 

PS.  Never got any weird questions like id’ed above.  Maybe we are a smarter lot up here. 😉

• Haha 1

All positive energy from onlookers here... and every once in a while some attention from the opposite sex, with my favorite being...

”I bet I’d look pretty good in your car”

as we were both sitting in traffic on the highway. 

I take it all in stride. Sometimes they think it's a Mercedes, sometimes they think it's just like their brother's slammed E30; it doesn't matter to me. It's all fun.

Well, I agree. The positive reactions far outweigh the annoying ones. The only thing many people know with regards to our cars is "Tii", so I presume that is why they bring it up so often. "Is that a Tii ?" is the most common question. I'm personally not a fan of the Tii as it is not as user friendly and utilitarian in comparison the standard 02. And by the time the "Tii" made its debut, BMW had already slapped on many of the after thoughts which were never part of the original styling, especially here in the states. "Tii" as an acronym has taken a life of its own. It's become a catchword like the word "Green" (Green economy, Green friendly, Green business, we'e all going "Green"). And, we're all "Tii". And, yes there are many people asking if it's for sale. When I say No!, they just drive off. The guys from the Middle East relate it to their youth or someone in their family back home, the muscle car crowd knows hardly anything about it and wonders why the Germans only put a 4 cylinder in the car. To them it's all about cubic inches. And, then there are the opportunists thinking I don't know what I have and trying to buy the car for $500, and the young guys trying to race me in their new BMW coupes and of coarse the self professed experts who try to convince me they are more knowledgeable about my car. I think it's time to retire my cars after using them as daily transportation for 36 years in an area with some of the world's heaviest traffic. One gets annoyed at the attention after a while, not to mention the toll on the cars and all of the accidents etc.

54 minutes ago, Jim_75Sahara said:

it doesn't matter to me. It's all fun.

Yes, exactly this.  I like to take it in stride.

I once had a homeless guy next to PCH come up excitedly and start talking.  He knew the color name, year, and nuances of my 2002.  Turns out he used to be a lot kid for Vasek Polak.

Don't recall ever having gotten a negative comment about the car.  It could be that people have said negative things, but I didn't let it bug me. (After all I'm driving a 2002!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D Seattle said:

PS.  Never got any weird questions like id’ed above.  Maybe we are a smarter lot up here. 😉

no, the seasonal affective disorder with Seattle weather has just beaten everyone down to not care, that's all. ;)

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1