• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about center console ash tray

grotflo

Quick question.  I pieced together a center console and ashtray from separate sources, and the plastic face of the ashtray is larger than the hole, meaning it doesn't sit flush.  Is this how it's supposed to be?  Were there different versions of these parts from year to year?  Some quick Google Image sleuthing shows both flush and non-flush examples, but what's actually correct?

Ashtray.jpg.79c702967cdd499964ed0051bec552c9.jpg

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

1975 BMW R90S (Silver Smoke)

Were any of 'em flush?  I know the ashtrays on the short console roundies have metal faces, covered in black vinyl with chrome trim around the edge of the ashtray front, and a chromed metal pull handle. The ashtray front sits above the face of the console, not flush.

When the factory switched to the long consoles in 1971, the ashtray front was changed to plastic with a plastic/brushed chrome handle and black background with no edge trim.  It also sat proud of the console face.  Wasn't that same setup used on squarelights?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I should preface this thread by saying I’m not really concerned with being 100% factory correct, I’m just curious.

It does seem odd that the factory would have multiple versions of this relatively trivial part. But I believe other components in the center console changed between roundies and square tails (the shift surround comes to mind). 

Here are two photos (not mine) that seem to show a flush ashtray:

stereo.jpg&key=5fdcad8e26c8eda1627910910

post-13759-13667606739556.jpg

It it appears the actual ashtray is smaller, not the cutout in the faceplate. 

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

The only flush-fitting ashtrays I recall on my own ‘02’s are on the early dashboards that have chrome fascia trim: U.S.-spec cars through October-ish 1967, Euro-spec cars until April 1971.

The first photo is from a July 1967 1600-2 brochure, illustrating the flush ashtray on dashboards with chrome fascia trim. The second photo is from a May 1968 1600/2002 brochure, illustrating the second type of ashtray, metal, but no longer flush. Yours is the third type, and is used until the end of 2002 production. The third photo shows my ‘76 (the Clardy air conditioning system uses the car’s original flasher/ashtray/green button panel). The latter is the third type of ashtray I can recall.

Regards,

Steve

D5F1DED8-FB5B-490F-A1BE-8B61FCBA4810.jpeg

94E8B86D-B036-4213-80D3-8B6566C68C7D.jpeg

72709796-816F-4DAF-8640-F3DB61DD5B1E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, grotflo said:

I should preface this thread by saying I’m not really concerned with being 100% factory correct, I’m just curious.

It does seem odd that the factory would have multiple versions of this relatively trivial part. But I believe other components in the center console changed between roundies and square tails (the shift surround comes to mind). 

Here are two photos (not mine) that seem to show a flush ashtray:

stereo.jpg&key=5fdcad8e26c8eda1627910910

post-13759-13667606739556.jpg

It it appears the actual ashtray is smaller, not the cutout in the faceplate. 

Odd. Those aren’t even flush. They’re inset.

I don’t know if it’s meaningful, but the second console example is assembled with non-stock fasteners. Has it been repaired, modified, or customized?

Were there aftermarket or replacement console components that didn’t adhere to the factory’s original specifications?

The shift surrounds, indeed, went from those lush rubberized vinyl(?) units to cheap plastic with the switch to square taillights.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Hmmm.  I took today off to get a bunch of stuff done before the weekend, but I had 

to immediately suspend and head into the garage  to look into this burning issue.  (Don’t tell my wife.)  On my ‘72 and ‘74 (both unrestored projects) the ashtrays are identical, save the handle on the ‘72 seems to be a true chrome as shown on the left below, whereas in the 74, it is anodized, I believe.  The each have a roundel and the same number on the back, 1 808 534.  In both cars, they sit flush.

78D9ED2C-8FB0-4DE3-AAA4-64EAB1E319C4.jpeg

0188CBFC-A4B8-4912-8C7D-F9A28E37BA45.jpeg

1CBE6331-33B5-4C10-932B-C654FC81560B.jpeg

• Like 3

The plot thickens.  Hope the concours judges are taking notes.  I have to say, at first I thought the non-flush look was strange, but an upside is that it helps conceal the uneven gap around the edges of the flush versions.  Fifty years of wear and tear make that inevitable.

• Like 1

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

So....at this point, we don’t have sufficient data to sort flush vs. overlay by year.

Flush — based on my experience with wood and cabinetry — is hard to do well.  Overlay conceals a lot of....inaccuracies and inconsistencies.

I can’t imagine why BMW used both. Maybe with more examples (including VIN and manufacturing date) we can get a better sense of whether this change is a function of date, or random, based, for instance, on different suppliers.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

BTW it is my cars birthday - manufactured Friday 9th November, 1973.

Properly slapped on the rear when it comes off the line gives it a lot more acceleration throughout it's life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

38 minutes ago, jimk said:

Properly slapped on the rear when it comes off the line gives it a lot more acceleration throughout it's life.

Not allowed to do that anymore.....so I've been told.?

• Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

Not allowed to do that anymore.....so I've been told.?

I slap my 02 before i get in it to make it go!

Soon you won't see  jockeys whipping their steeds on in a race either.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.