ddletendre

Need a new front suspension. Coilovers or OEM rebuild?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi! 

I need to redo my front suspension first thing after the winter (i live in canada, so my beloved 1976 2002 sits in storage).

I was searching the web for alternatives. Should I go OEM rebuild? I would need to buy new strut assemblies since they were starting to fall appart (1200 bucks each OEM). 

Or coilovers, where I think I could have something pretty good for 1500 bucks. 

Any suggestion for online shops with great prices and products? 

Thanks, 

Whut?

You can replace the stock parts with good quality OE for something like $800.  Total

The struts are very durable, as long as you don't drift into a curb, or let the bearings go dry.

Bilstein damper inserts are $200 a corner, $60 ball joints, $60 top mounts, 

replace other parts as needed.

Coil over springs are just different size springs- if you want to run a wide tire, a lot of front camber,

or have a lot of spring options, and infinitely adjustable ride height, then they start to make sense. 

Otherwise, they don't.

for starters,

t

Edited by TobyB

Have you ever driven a freshly rebuilt, basically stock 2002?

They are wonderful.

You are doing it right by researching before you just jump from worn out stock parts to full-on race stuff.

My solution was mild sport springs, bilstien sports, stock bars, all fresh stock rubber bits except for swaybar bushings. Great ride, but I could use a touch more ride height for what we do.

Coil overs and the like are great and adjustable, but are they ~your~ solution?

• Thanks 1

You aren’t going to need to replace the strut housings, as Toby says, unless yours are bent or you have spun out the bearing surface on the spindles. 

Coilovers are for more specific goals rather than just renewing wear items on your suspension. They may well be your goals too but I suggest that you read up some. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I’m no mechanic, but the part that holds the spring (botton part) is litteraly falling appart.

see image below for part falling apart. 

Oem on bmw website are litteraly 1200 bucks each... 41844AB6-B222-4B97-804B-F599A12BAFFC.thumb.jpeg.519f5ff34725af004475a5e23fdd61a3.jpeg

The Bilstein don’t come with strut housings. Is the lower spring mount rusting off?  Some pictures would be good. 

23 minutes ago, Simeon said:

The Bilstein don’t come with strut housings. Is the lower spring mount rusting off?  Some pictures would be good. 

That’s exactly what’s happening. Sadly since it’s stored for the qinter I don’t have access to my car til may... 

But yeah, the lower spring mount is rusting off. And it doesn’t seem like I can find the piece anywhere

1) Go to Real Oem and look for the part

2) Call Steve at Bluntech for the part and suggestion/quote for your suspension rebuild. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ddletendre said:

That’s exactly what’s happening. Sadly since it’s stored for the qinter I don’t have access to my car til may... 

But yeah, the lower spring mount is rusting off. And it doesn’t seem like I can find the piece anywhere

I suspect most cars’ bodies rust away before the lower spring perches rust out, although I don’t dismiss the possibility of spring perch rust, especially on a rust-belt car. Are both struts equally rusted out? That said, before you buy new struts, I’d recommend you: (1.) pull off the current struts and see if they could be repaired, and (2.) if the answer to 1. is “all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t repair them,” why not buy a used pair of struts? Certainly, used tii struts generally sell between $300 and $1,000 the pair. But used non-tii struts are much more common, and much cheaper, say $100 to $300 the pair. Throw some Bilstein inserts in there.

Unless you’re doing an every-nut-and-bolt 100-point concours restoration, most ‘02’s have higher uses of funds than $2,400 worth of brand-new non-tii struts.

That’s how I’d approach this.

Now if you really want and need coilovers and are looking for an excuse to spend the money on coilovers, you should completely ignore my advice.... 😉

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I offer a strong vote for replacing all the front parts you can with OEM

Here is what sold me in that direction:  So many FAQers for so long have stated (to paraphrase). "Have you ever driven a freshly stock 2002?" and "You will be wonderfully and pleasantly surprised how superbly a 2002 handles with fresh OEM bushings and other suspension parts."  I did a complete suspension rebuild just that way and am so glad I did.  

If you want even more handling fun, follow these three suggestions from wise FAQers:  strongly consider upgrades to a larger sway bar, heavier inserts, and sport-type springs.  Examples; Bilstein HD, H & R sport springs, and ST sway bars.  There are many similar brands and many suppliers.   All relatively inexpensive...compared to Big Boy parts.

Have fun.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2002#2 said:

I offer a strong vote for replacing all the front parts you can with OEM

Here is what sold me in that direction:  So many FAQers for so long have stated (to paraphrase). "Have you ever driven a freshly stock 2002?" and "You will be wonderfully and pleasantly surprised how superbly a 2002 handles with fresh OEM bushings and other suspension parts."  I did a complete suspension rebuild just that way and am so glad I did.  

If you want even more handling fun, follow these three suggestions from wise FAQers:  strongly consider upgrades to a larger sway bar, heavier inserts, and sport-type springs.  Examples; Bilstein HD, H & R sport springs, and ST sway bars.  There are many similar brands and many suppliers.   All relatively inexpensive...compared to Big Boy parts.

Have fun.

Larry

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is exactly how Steve/Bluntech steered me in my suspension refresh, along with all new RUBBER bushings. The only urethane used was for the ST sway bars. No need to reinvent the wheel. It's all been done before and proven.

• Like 1

And to hit this horse again, the cars rust out before the struts-

you can find good used struts (that need ball joints and dampers) for roughly the tax on the new parts...

...'course, if your strut perches are that rusted, I'd strongly recommend going over the car very carefully

to make sure that it's structurally viable.

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

I just did a full OE suspension rebuild with one exception> IE 25mm sway bars. One word: Amazing.

It's crazy fun on bumpy back roads and handles flatter than any stock car I've ever driven. Brand new stock OE dampers/bushings soak up pretty much everything... and I can now drink my beverages without disaster'.

As stated above: used struts...that's what you need for a reasonably priced rebuild. Painless compared to being bent over for new factory parts