Houndstooth and tweed seat material

I started with seats from BF Torino.  From what I understand, it was Cobra or another supplier that initially took the BF Torino's and sent them to China to be imitated.  That is why you see them now littering eBay and the back halls of Sema.  When you compare them in person .... well, there's no real comparison.  BF's are still surprisingly reasonably priced though.

---------------------------

Nick, it'll be neat to see your seats when they are finished, that darker version would be beautiful!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my seats back from the upholsterer. The lighting makes the vinyl look lighter in the picture than it really is, but I'm happy with the outcome and the way they blend with door cards and esty carpe

I would give Lebaron Bonney and SMS Auto Fabrics a shot. They both have a large selection of materials.   Ace Andrews seats are very nice indeed. That looks like Spinneybeck woven leather, t

Aka Bluetooth?   sorry

Posted Images

Interesting info Andrew. I'm curious to hear a little more about how your leather guy made the weave, that's really cool. Any idea how it got the strips so precisely cut? Also curious if the leather is then bonded to something. With the Spinneybeck material it is bonded onto a cotton backing to provide additional structure for longevity. Did he do something different? Either way, pretty cool, and very resourceful.

7 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

I started with seats from BF Torino.  From what I understand, it was Cobra or another supplier that initially took the BF Torino's and sent them to China to be imitated.  That is why you see them now littering eBay and the back halls of Sema.  When you compare them in person .... well, there's no real comparison.  BF's are still surprisingly reasonably priced though.

Nick, it'll be neat to see your seats when they are finished, that darker version would be beautiful!

Thanks Andrew. Still waiting for Veteran to return my call. Otherwise GTS Classics has the order at $165 py.

In many cases, Veteran is the importer/distributor that sells to other folks. They typically have the best pricing from what I've found. They are technically a wholesale shop I believe so not sure if they will sell to individuals or not. Worth a try though, by all means. Curious what you find.

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

Cobra make all their seats in the UK and have been making that shape high back bucket seat for a very long time. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Grover said:

Interesting info Andrew. I'm curious to hear a little more about how your leather guy made the weave, that's really cool. Any idea how it got the strips so precisely cut? Also curious if the leather is then bonded to something. With the Spinneybeck material it is bonded onto a cotton backing to provide additional structure for longevity. Did he do something different? Either way, pretty cool, and very resourceful.

Well, to be honest, you can tell in person that some of the strips are not quite perfect.  It'll be something to correct down the road.  The weave is bonded to a backing material, definitely a necessary step.  My friend made the pieces and bonded the backing to them.  I took the pieces to the upholstery shop (I like to use Rojelio's [great guys] https://www.instagram.com/rogeliosautoupholstery/?hl=en) and they did the actual upholstery work with the seats.

17 hours ago, NYNick said:

Thanks Andrew. Still waiting for Veteran to return my call. Otherwise GTS Classics has the order at $165 py.

Can't go wrong with Stefan!  Veterans does do direct sales, but it may be more of an "in person" thing.

15 hours ago, Simeon said:

Cobra make all their seats in the UK and have been making that shape high back bucket seat for a very long time. 

Please excuse my mistake, perhaps it was Corbeau I was thinking of.

2 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Please excuse my mistake, perhaps it was Corbeau I was thinking of.

Corbeau actually claim to have invented the ‘sports bucket seat’ in the early 60’s! Quite a claim. 

I have been researching new seats myself and always enjoy a bit of trivia. 

• Haha 1

For those who care, the Black and Tan Houndstooth material is hard to find and when you do find it, it's expensive. Black and white is easy. Black and Tan is tough. I found 3 suppliers as noted above and they're all expensive. It's all the same German material.

I could've 'cheaped out' and gone with $20 or $30 psy alternatives, but they wouldn't have been houndstooth or tweed and that's what I thought would look cool. I could be wrong (and/or dumb), but I made my decision and will have to live with it.

My Polaris Tii is very unusual with a factory tan interior instead of blue. I'm keeping it that way with some modifications, one of which are E21 sport seats re-upholstered in OEM tan with houndstooth Black and Tan inserts. I'm hoping it looks as good as I think it will.

Thank you all for your help. I will post pictures of the seats when they are finished.

Nick

Edited by NYNick
  • Like 1

I was asking if anyone had leads on blue houndstooth, that seems to be extremely hard to find the least houndstooth color I’ve come across... I thought since people posting in seemed to know where to get all the different colors of houndstooth I figured I’d chime in and hope someone can point me to the blue section. Tan and blue definitely does not go together haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have a cosmosblau 1985 320i that needs a new pacific blue interior. Any tips stateside? I have found similarly coloured leather with a grain pattern around 80$ a sq. m. Nothing similar to the original which used two Pacific blue velour cloths for the centers/sides. It has indigo blue leather bmw sportseats, which are far greyer than the rest of the interior...not a  pretty picture. I looked at Global and the other big one selling sewn covers, no Pacific 0151.

Andrew

Andrew