• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lifting engine out w/tranny

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i did a search on this but didn't find a concrete answer:

we are going to lift the engine and tranny out of our 1975 car this week. where is the best place to attach the chains when doing the job this way?

also, how long would it take, 5 hours to remove engine from one shell and install in another?

thanks!

obin

Guest Anonymous

There is a hole in the back right above the starter. And in the front there should be a loop on the alternator bracket to attatch to.

As for time, if this is your first motor, it is going to take a while. I have done alot of motor swaps and on a good day where every thing goes well, can have the motor out and in in about 8 hours. That is if everything works the way it is supposed too.

HTH

Andy

Guest Anonymous

I didnt have a way to lift the shell high enough to clear the motor and tranny. Plus its not as fun.

Andy

Guest Anonymous

Actually not too hard to do with basic jacks and jackstands and blocks of wood. Lee will remember showing me how at Tremblant in the track parking lot. Remove wheels, disconnect steering box from shaft, hang callipers (no need to disconnect lines). Disconnect guibo, stuts at top and other stuff and drop subframe w/engine and tranny onto a board. Mine was a tii so had to get car at extreme angle to clear intake manifold on air dam, but it worked. Lower angle if pull head first. Then attach rope to subframe and pull that sucker out from under the car. Works great in a pinch if you don't have a hoist. --Fred '73 tii / '74 project