Ensign

Problems after tii fuel pump swap - UPDATE 1

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

During a recent state inspection, I was told that I had a leaking fuel hose around the fuel pump.  I replaced all the hoses connected to the fuel pump and auxiliary tank and found that I still had a leak. It was the pump that was leaking. The pump was an OE unit, re-manufactured by Fuel Injection Corp.

Based on recommendations found on this site, I replaced the pump with a 5 series unit manufactured by Bosch (#GFP263). That solved my leak problem, but now the engine will not maintain idle and runs like it is fuel starved and I have to hold the throttle to the floor to start it. The engine ran great prior the pump swap.

The fine mesh cone filter in the old pump was very clean, so I don’t think the new pump is receiving dirty fuel and creating a blockage.  Plus the filter in the tank is relatively new. I disconnected the fuel line at the K-fisch and pumped fuel into a container to observe the flow, which was good, but I don’t have a way to measure the actual pressure. I may have to try the Mike Macartney test of disconnecting the return line at the tank and measuring how much fuel is collected in 30 seconds.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this pump, or have any suggestions of where I should go from here?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Edited by Ensign
edit title

Do the return line into a catch container before you reach any conclusion about the pump because what you are interested in is the flow at system required pressure (which is what the pressure control valve on the KF pump does).  It also would show if there is anything else in the system is affecting flow, such as the primary fuel filter ahead of the KF pump.

The system pumping circuit operates at 2 bar and the new pump is rated at 3 bar, so it would be very odd that it is not up to the duty. 

40 minutes ago, Ensign said:

It was the pump that was leaking.

Just so you know...the OE pump is a well-sealed unit, but there is a copper crush washer at the exit port.  It can leak easily, but once the washer is replaced and torqued the pump is very robust, especially since it was a rebuild.  Normally I'd say get rid of a 40+ year old pump, but maybe it's got life still in it.

If all else fails with the 5series pump, try resealing the old pump and putting it back in.

Keep us posted.

45 minutes ago, jimk said:

Do the return line into a catch container before you reach any conclusion about the pump because what you are interested in is the flow at system required pressure (which is what the pressure control valve on the KF pump does).

The results aren't good, I only collected 25 - 30 cc of fuel. I repeated the test 3 times and got the same result each time.

10 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

If all else fails with the 5series pump, try resealing the old pump and putting it back in. 

I was thinking the same thing Paul. To remove the old pump from the bracket, I had to remove the exit port and it was not tight. I may give that a try. Thanks...

Every tii owner who does his own work should have one of these under 20$ at harbor fright IMHO can't guaranty it's super accurate but should put you in the ball park. Return the 5 series pump for a new one as your's is out of spec for sure.

Pittsburgh® Automotive 62623 Fuel Injection Pump Tester

• Like 3

Still don't know where the restriction is at from the return line test.

What flow is there if the supply line after the main filter is directed to a catch can?

45 minutes ago, jimk said:

What flow is there if the supply line after the main filter is directed to a catch can?

I didn't time or record the quantity, but I would guess about 350 cc in about 3 seconds.

I think I will put the old pump back in just to confirm that the engine will run like it did before the swap, before I start changing other parts. Thanks for helping...

as have many others, for the record installed this pump BMW 16141179232 last year and has run flawlessly - and quietly

(not that anything was wrong with the old (original!) pump, just seemed like a good preventive measure)

+1 on recommendations to check the actual fuel pressure reaching the KF pump inlet to confirm supply is reaching, easiest place is to insert pressure gage as T off the line to the cold start injector

should have pressure as soon as ignition turned to on and pump activates

this is the pressure level that is regulated by the orifice/valve at the KF outlet

as a closed loop back to the tank, most of the fuel flow volume returns to the tank rather than going out through the injectors

• Like 1

I did put the old pump back on, after replacing the crush washer at the exit port as Paul suggested. The good news is that the engine runs great with the old pump. The bad news is that the pump still leaks. The pump leaks along a seam, just behind the inlet port. It was easy to see with the pump dry prior to starting.

I have asked Bav Auto if they will give me a new pump and I am waiting to hear back from them.

1 hour ago, Ensign said:

The pump leaks along a seam, just behind the inlet port.

Sorry to hear.  That's a first.

Good luck with Bav Auto.

Here's the "instructions" I followed to replace the original electric fuel pump with a 5-series pump.  I did this in 2011, and the engine started right up and has continued to run fine, no problems at all since then.

http://www.my2002tii.com/tii-fuel-pump_how-to.htm

Can you cross-reference your Bosch number to the BMW part number shown in the article ??  Perhaps they are different pumps and the Bosch isn't "correct" for the application ??

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

6 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

Can you cross-reference your Bosch number to the BMW part number shown in the article ??  Perhaps they are different pumps and the Bosch isn't "correct" for the application ??

Thanks for that.

I used the information in that article to order the new fuel pump. I believe I have the correct pump. Hopefully the supplier will let me try a different one.

Regards,

Tony

22 minutes ago, Ensign said:

I believe I have the correct pump.

Got mine from Blunt. Way back.   If Bav Auto leaves you high and dry (pun) you can't go wrong with Blunt.  He knows what you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign said:

The pump leaks along a seam, just behind the inlet port.

IIRC there is an O-Ring seal  there in the plastic head.

Trying to find my bookmark for a rebuild kit..........