NYNick

E30 Distribution block

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm so sick of looking for an E30 battery distribution block I could choke. I'm relocating my battery (going with a 3 1/2 lb Lithium BTW; that's another subject!) to under my rear seat delete, passenger side, and have already run the 1/0 cable from there to my engine bay. I've even researched some car stereo blocks that split 1/0 gauge into 2 1/0's etc but thought I'd ask the brain trust for other solutions. The stereo blocks actually look promising but I'd rather have a heavy duty automotive hookup with bolts for accessories.

Has anyone used other solutions? Does anyone haver an E30 block I could buy?

Thx

Nick

Also put a battery cutoff in the back seat (Mine is mounted on the wall of the back seat accessible by your feet. You dont want to have to lift the back seat every time you need to cut the battery power.

Capture.JPG

There are many junction boxes out there that make such rewiring much easier.  I put these inside on the firewall and run the starter connection through the fuse box cavity and then out into the engine bay.  Makes connecting peripherals (electric fan, fog lights, ...) much easier too.

7 point power post junction block.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

Also put a battery cutoff in the back seat (Mine is mounted on the wall of the back seat accessible by your feet. You dont want to have to lift the back seat every time you need to cut the battery power.

Capture.JPG

You ran a ground wire from the backseat floor to the engine compartment too? Suspenders and belt? Love the positive and negative studs BTW. Thanks for that suggestion!

Nope. My ground wire grounds right into the chassis under the back seat. Then i used a negative through stud into the engine compartment sheet metal.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Stevenc22

Ahhh, beauty. Thanks. Those studs are perfect.

Gotta get my baby all set up for engine installation. Hoping for Springtime for my first outing in 3 years after all the rehab.

I love the fact that you painted your relays black too.

Thanks to Hal also.

Which E30 distribution block? IIRC there were two styles.

If you are moving your battery you might consider one of these (of higher amperage), and you can find other 12V distribution parts:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--klixon-surface-mount-circuit-breakers--P016932352?recordNum=8

Yes i'll second West Marine they also carry a high amp fuse that I recommend in case the long battery cable wears through somewhere. 

e30 "distribution blocks" are grossly overrated.  not needed.  tons of other easier solutions, some mentioned above.

I didn't bother with a "block" or "terminal" at all.  Pos from battery under seat goes to the starter.   wire from alternator goes to same place on starter.  done.

Some before and after pictures of my battery relocation on my long gone 1976 BMW 2002 may provide some ideas...

Mark92131

76Trunk10.jpg

76Trunk08.jpg

76Trunk06.JPG

76Trunk07.JPG

76Trunk01.JPG

76Trunk02.JPG

19760036.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mlytle said:

e30 "distribution blocks" are grossly overrated.  not needed.  tons of other easier solutions, some mentioned above.

I didn't bother with a "block" or "terminal" at all.  Pos from battery under seat goes to the starter.   wire from alternator goes to same place on starter.  done.

Agree with this, don't add extra junctions and resistances. Run the large current cable to the starter, where it's needed. then run the Alternator and wiring loom positive feeds to the same starter terminal. Its neat & simple.

20 hours ago, mlytle said:

Love this approach. Thanks.

9 hours ago, dlacey said:

Run the large current cable to the starter, where it's needed

What gauge are you intending to use and what is the length of the run?

If it is 4ga. it is probably insufficient for that minimum length of run at over 100amps draw.

And to follow up on the circuit breaker recommendation, it also doubles as your switch.