jrhone

Need options for building a car without a garage...

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

I may build a second 02.  This one isnt a runner and may not be for a while.  I have a 2 car garage but the wife will probably not be ok with something non-op residing there for any length of time.  I also like my daily 02 to be garaged so that leads me to finding other options.  Ideas?  Having a plan on this may make the difference in me doing it or not.  

Edited by jrhone

Define ‘build’?

If you are talking glass out / paint off, stripped shell then I would suggest that you find somewhere else to park your operable 02. 

If you are talking a car that is ‘waterproof’ and you are basically rebuilding mechanical components then you could do this under a carport or even out in the open, depending upon your personal desire for comfort when working. 

Not a glass out thing...The car is complete but non op for decades.  The plan is to get it running and stopping then do cosmetics. I just don’t know how long the running and stopping part will take. I have a working spare 02 motor I could put in but I am gonna plan I need wiring, electrical, brakes, fuel system etc.  

Edited by jrhone

If you have a spot in your yard that's out of sight  of the wife and neighbors costco or harbor fright make a pop up garage that would provide shelter for a job like that but they are a more than a bit ugly 

6 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

If you have a spot in your yard that's out of sight  of the wife and neighbors costco or harbor fright make a pop up garage that would provide shelter for a job like that but they are a more than a bit ugly 

Great info.  Unfortunately I don’t have a spot like that. But great thinking out of the box.  

How big is your living room?

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I've actually have had decent luck with community garages or working spaces, not for long term projects - there is some possibility there.

Other option is to pay to store your other 2002 in a neighbor's garage, storage unit, etc..  somewhere nearby if it isn't your daily 

From experience...

If you have to ask that question....don't.

If that voice won't let it go for you...bite the bullet with your garage and get to work, or rent a space/storage unit to work in..

Again, I did say "from experience"

Cheers,

Chris

2 minutes ago, NYNick said:

How high are the garage ceilings? Is a lift possible?

There you go Nick that's what we would call 2nd deck thinking when I was in the tug boat biz😀

How about one of these, i’d be tempted if I knew the fabric would stand up to the Aussie sun!

BD04C537-168E-4277-B366-5F4ADE1FC944.png

It’s definitely doable, while it sits outside. It just takes a lot more assessing and planning. Asses what your need for each project. Brakes, bushings, suspension, each of these can be tackled and completed in a day. Along with a couple glasses of wine or pints of beer. Just make sure you have what you need when you start, special tools, parts, little extras (that may be returned of course) and have fun. Oh yes, buy a car cover so the neighbors won’t complain to your wife. All hell will break loose then!!! Hahahaha
If there is a will, a way will present itself....

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had long term (18 month) project I did in the driveway a few years ago and it sucked. Eventually I ended up buying an easy up/ pop up tent to fight the sun and rain which made it a little better but I still wouldn't recommend it. I ended up resenting that truck a good bit. Maybe try to find a mini warehouse or storage place you can get a garage at. A friend of mine rents out 12x24 storage units and he says people have rented Multiple and removed the dividers to make bigger shop areas. I think 3 units are only 350/ month. Maybe you could find something like that local to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

.... ahem.  sorry I know I will get blasted, but you can only drive one at a time.  Why the second project 02?  You may want to do the easy stuff, like clean it up, hoard the parts and get someone to put it together, perhaps some sweat equity at a shop?  

Do you have pics?