• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 tii Starting Issue

Stuart

Not much to go on there but is your cold start injector working? could it be flooded? how long has it been sitting? do any work on it lately? pump belt intact?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Run us through your thinking. What makes you think you have both?

A weak spark seen outside in air can be snubbed out under compression. What’s your ignition timing like? Has the distributor been moved or the plug wires swapped since the last time this car started? Has it ever started? Are your plugs wet when you pull them? Is your engine flooded with ‘too much’ fuel?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Since it is a '74tii, I'll offer up a couple of ideas based on my own experience.

1)  you got points ??  Check to be sure they haven't slipped "closed" a little bit.  A point gap too small makes for very hard starting.

2)  The Ugliest Possibility:  the Thermo Time Switch isn't working.  The symptoms you've got are the symptoms I had a few decades ago.

I would crank and crank and crank and crank, then about the last crank the battery could provide, it would start and run just fine.

Turns out some component on the circuit board blew in half.  I replaced it, no more problems.

Here's some reading on topic with lots of other ideas ......

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Sounds like your fuel pressure or cold start are dumping to much fuel and have flooded the plugs

Unfortunately with Tii's once plugs are flooded they are very slow to dry out.   Best to pull them clean or better yet just replace with some new.    To find out if to much fuel take a small towel and a vice grip and squeeze off the line to KF pump.    You can partly cut it off or fully cut off.  Then crank... the residual fuel in system will likely make it run a second.    All fixed then release vice grip on line.

Now adjust your pump for correct fuel setings and / or adjust cold start

Now check your cold start to see if coming or or not or possibly staying on

I know purist love to keep the cold start auto timed relay but we almost always disconnect relay and run a normal off button to left of steering wheel.   When held in lets cold start have fuel when released no fuel.    Or sometimes will connect to starter so automatically runs just when cranking engine

Both approaches are superior to depending on expensive fragile cold start relay

For security I always suggest to new Tii owner keep spark plug wrench and fresh set of plugs in trunk.    Easy fix if get flooded to get home then do final corrections

Obviously before doiing all this check for spark but you post said you had spark ?

Good luck KF inject cool technology but when it goes bad will remind you of best Rube Goldberg experiment :)

• Like 1