• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to remove rear QTR bonded metal?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Any suggestions on how to remove the sheet metal epoxied/bonded to the inner rear quarter panel on a '74 2002? These are the metal panels that are just over 1 meter long and 45 cm high and extend from just in front of the wheel arch to just behind the wheel arch. I believe they are only on the square tail cars, my round tail '73 did not have them. They can be seen from inside the trunk with side panels removed, and from inside the passenger cabin with rear side panels removed. The asphalt sound deadening that sits on top of part of them has been removed. There is a white, hard glue that appears to bond the second "skin" of sheet metal to the rear quarters proper. One of the panels is separating and rust is forming in between the two layers, so I want to get them off to deal with potential rust issues. Also, this is a track car and I do not need the weight. Would judicious application of heat work? Car is down to bare metal, so won't hurt paint, but don't want to damage rear quarter in the process. Someone suggested dry ice, but it would be difficult to hold it on these vertical surfaces.

TIA. Fred '73tii / '74 project

Guest Anonymous

you are talking about. I have an earlier car, but I did not know there was something else there on later cars.

Guest Anonymous

That triangular panel. I didn't know about that until I saw a sqaure trunk in person a few weeks ago.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe someone else has a solution, but here is my thoughts.

You say it is bonded with a glue of some sort. Most glues will give out with a reasonalble amount of heat. Problem is you could also overheat the underlying panel if you are not careful causing warping. I would use a heat gun and heat up the panel you want to remove near an edge. Gently pry on it with a plastic putty knife (to avoid damage to the q-panel). See if the glue looses its strengh with some heat. Only use as much heat as needed to break the bond. HOWEVER!!!!!! if this panel keeps going as one single sheet into an area were you could not do this (such as forward part of the trunk), you may want to think about where you could stop and cut it off before getting to carried away.

Guest Anonymous

I will be running E-mod, so removing this metal is not a problem under the rules. However, it cannot be "cut" out because it is mechanically bonded to the inside of the rear quarter panel.

Guest Anonymous

A heat gun sounds a bit safer than the propane torch that was suggested to me earlier. You are right, this is a continous panel, and I won't be able to get at the portion under the C-pillar, so I will section the panel when I get as far back as I can. Thanks for the suggestion. --Fred

Guest Anonymous

I took me a lot of elbow grease...since the wheel arches are cut on my 02, i managed to remove those inner metal plates from this cut, other than this, i cant figure out how to remove them, maybe cut them in two before removing them?

24-3749275.JPG

There were rust under those metal plates, because there is no paint !! so if only one corner gets unglued, water will be traped in and then rust apprears. I guess the wheel arches from the outside rust mostly because of this.

Pat Allen