SydneyTii

70's or 60's

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

These go on tomorrow (about time right Steve 😀, been changing all the hard lines, bastard the of a job with the engine in!!) and I'm stuck between 2 tyre choices.

im wondering if the 60 series tyres would look better or the 70 series tyres. Yes look, I know form over function 🙄

The car is lowered on Eibachs and has fixed front camber plates, so I could probably get out to 205 but may be pushing it, but certainly 185's

That said if I'm after that chunky lowered simple look, hence taking off my basket weaves (which I do love, but arthritic hands don't when it comes to cleaning)

Anyway any tyre recommendations, outside of CN36 would be good. Cheers.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I've got some Kumho Solus tires in a 13.  They worked really well until I went to the 15's.  TA-11 is the model I have, 185/70s.

Edited by irdave

Dave I run Khumos souls on my basketweaves, quite a good tyre for the money!

one of the Aussie lads just suggested Michelin xm2's I've no experience of these though.

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

I've got some Kumho Solus tires in a 13.  They worked really well until I went to the 15's.  TA-11 is the model I have, 185/70s.

1+

I have 13” Kumho Solus tires on my car and they are a great tire. When I bought the car it came with Michelin’s (XR2?) that had plenty of tread but were old and wouldn’t hold air for more than a few days. Even when the Michelin’s were properly set up I found the Kumhos handled better. In my opinion you can’t go wrong for the price!
  • Like 1

Uhhh...and why are CN36’s not on the short list?  

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Lol because they are $1200 in Aus at the moment!

And the boss said "you're kidding" I said "don't you you want me to be safe" 

shes still laughing!

But my Oppositional defiance disorder is saying something else!

Now where's that Longstone number😂😂

• Haha 1

uniroyal holland makes a 185/70 13 all season that is reasonably priced in the EU at under e50 each

• Like 1

I had the Khumo Solus tires for several years and found them "ok" for the first 20k miles… but they were AWFUL in the rain afterward. I installed the CN36 Pirellis about 2 months ago and they are a FAR superior tire in all respects. Running 185/70 on 5x13 tii steel wheels w 1600 covers. If the offset of your alloys is closer to the e21 (ET 18 or similar) you may have rubbing issues with 205/60s. YMMV.

I LOVE my CN36s and they weren't THAT stupidly priced. About $150- each…and since tires have saved my life before, I take them seriously. :) Car frequently hits triple digit speeds, so quality counts. 

IMG_8072.JPG

• Like 2

Hi,

No CN36, then maybe some track day tires? How about Kumho ECSTA V70A / V700 which is available in 185/70r13 as a street legal semi-slick available in four compounds....

Andrew

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 11:44 PM, wegweiser said:

I had the Khumo Solus tires for several years and found them "ok" for the first 20k miles… but they were AWFUL in the rain afterward. I installed the CN36 Pirellis about 2 months ago and they are a FAR superior tire in all respects. Running 185/70 on 5x13 tii steel wheels w 1600 covers. If the offset of your alloys is closer to the e21 (ET 18 or similar) you may have rubbing issues with 205/60s. YMMV.

I LOVE my CN36s and they weren't THAT stupidly priced. About $150- each…and since tires have saved my life before, I take them seriously.  Car frequently hits triple digit speeds, so quality counts. 

IMG_8072.JPG

Good point, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Paul, sometimes I give my daughter a lift in my 02, so  I will try and get a better deal on the Pirelli tyres, and yes I’ve noticed my current  Khumos which are a few years old now slide in the wet!