Mikesmalaga72

72 shift lever retainer spring ring

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey guys just wondering what you used to compress the expanding spring locking ring that secures the upper lever assembly. I`m having a difficult time compressing and locking the lever down. Thanks !!

Ugh…. of all the repairs / operations I've done on 2002s over the decades, THAT SPRING / circlip is among my least favorite. I generally never take apart that upper lever, for that reason. I've used screwdrivers and strong fingers to get it in place, but also have a few scars from that technique. maybe a combo of pliers and screwdriver (pliers to compress it….screwdriver to pop the end in / seat it) might work. Doing it "in the car" makes it worse, since it's hard to see exactly what you're doing, as you sit, uncomfortably in the front seat.

Edited by wegweiser
  • Thanks 1

That clip is a bitch I've had some luck with a paint can opener by putting the shifter in a vice with one hand and pulling with the other to kinda rake it out. 

Bulk Paint Can Openers

It's not a snap ring there are no ears on it it just a round spring that expands into a detent on the shifter.

• Thanks 1

I drilled a small hole just above the spring wire and used a punch to push the wire spring out.  Hole is covered by the boot.

After I got it apart, I cut a groove from the base to the hole.  Easy acess now if I ever need to remove it.

Edited by jimk
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jimk said:

I drilled a small hole just above the spring wire and used a punch to push the wire spring out.  Hole is covered by the boot.

After I got it apart, I cut a groove from the base to the hole.  Easy acess now if I ever need to remove it.

I think I've done that before, too! Great tip! I had forgotten about that! :D

Following up here, I decided to radius the area near the small split already cut into the lever toward feed side of spring clip and got to hear the magical click!  Found that the added clearance was all I needed to finalize! Thanks for all your help guys!!

• Like 1