DetroitMatt

Weber 32/36 DGAV Rebuild

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I've been battling drivability issues all year with my 1972 2002 that's pretty stock save for exhaust and a Weber 32/36 DGAV. I've done my best to set the timing, but since it's running so rough, it's difficult to be accurate. The carb on my car is brand new and has less than a thousand miles on it, except for the fact that it sat for 25 years unused (this project was a barn find) So I'm thinking a rebuild is in order. Now, I've done my searching on the forum and everyone points me to this link (followed by comments about how great and helpful it was):

http://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-guide-rebuilding-a-weber-3236-dgav-carb/

Except the link is now dead. Did anyone on the forum here archive it or put in a sticky I haven't found yet? Are there other tutorials specific to our car? I'm a little daunted by the throttle linkage which looks pretty complicated. Can I just pull the top of the carb off and rebuild it from there? It looks like I can get to most parts / jets / pumps / gaskets from there pretty easily. 

Thanks!

After 25 years of sitting I suspect the carb is a real gummy mess inside...

You'll do better with the cleaning if you remove the carb--the linkage isn't that complicated--just make sketches (old school) or take pictures (21st century) and you can get it back together with no problems.

Before you dismantle--with the engine off and the air cleaner removed, look down the carb throat and work the accelerator linkage.  See if you can see a squirt of fuel coming from a little nozzle in the carb's primary throat.  No squirt = bad accelerator pump--either clogged passages or a bad diaphragm.  That'll tell you if you need to replace the diaphragm as part of the rebuild.

The only caveat about dismantling/reassembling is not to mix up the jets from the primary and secondary barrels.  Write the numbers down as you dismantle and keep 'em in separate baggies.  And don't lose that itty-bitty cotter pin in the choke linkage--they're hard to find!

Check archives or You Tube for lots of tutorials on 32/36 rebuilds.\

Have fun tinkering

mike

Get an egg box or two to put the parts in and strip it down. They are pretty straightforward and there are lots of exploded diagrams available on the web. Take lots of photos and you can take the place of the Supra page, but on here, about BMWs. 

You can leave the butterflies in place (it sounds like they would have little wear anyway) and just concentrate on renewing the rubber bits and cleaning out the passages and jets. 

Check your pump jet diaphragm, your power valve diaphragm (check it holds a vacuum when you push it down and cover the vacuum drilling with your finger- it should stay down until you release it). You can also check the ‘pull off’ diaphragm in the choke mechanism. This and the power valve don’t come with the standard rebuild kit. 

Have fun!

22 hours ago, DetroitMatt said:

I've done my searching on the forum and everyone points me to this link (followed by comments about how great and helpful it was):

http://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-guide-rebuilding-a-weber-3236-dgav-carb/

Except the link is now dead. Did anyone on the forum here archive it or put in a sticky I haven't found yet?

@DetroitMatt here is part 1&2 of that carb rebuild in Pdf format.

rebuilding-a-weber-3236_1.pdf

rebuilding-a-weber-3236_2.pdf