al

Changing fuel pump

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

My original fuel pump went out and I am replacing it with the higher flow output one from the six-cylinder engine I think. 

I see that it needs a shorter Rod/shaft, I am going to cut this downto the right size. I read one of the other blogs about changing it. Are there any other suggestions I have a little paper gasket And some of the strong gasket sealer and I will use.  I’m not sure how to attach it because the studs are much longer. Should I just put a bunch of washers in there so thatI can tighten it?

I tried buying the original fuel pump instead of making this conversion but the fuel pump has a really short neck and won’t clear some of the cooling lines  i’m thinking I should go to an electric fuel pump and get a block of plate, is that the preferred way now a days? Thank you very much for your help in advance. Al

I’m trying to make it to the vintage in two days

Don't cut the rod it's hardened and the cut end won't be, do you have the phenalic (SP) spacer that goes between the head and pump that should make up the difference in stud length you'll need all the parts to get it to work right.  

I just drove to Ireland engineering and they didn’t have the right information for me there. I am in Los Angeles. On the Westside and I called Pep Boys in AutoZone and they don’t really know what I want either 

Maybe try Le Tran at Garagewerks  626-497 two thousand 2 he may have what you need or at least know where to get them.

I don't know for sure but you might try a VW speciality parts shop.  The block off plate and perhaps even the pump and phenolic block might be available there.  If nothing else they could fix you up with a proper Facet low volume electric pump and the parts needed to install it.

Thank you, I did call garagewerks and he suggested the electric fuel pump.  I guess I can make it now thank you for the suggestion. I don’t have a block off plate so I will just bypass it and leave it on there I’m sure that would be OK for now

So I’m going to go with the electrical fuel pump now but I’m not sure which wire to splice it into I’m sure it is somewhere under the dash or is there a place I splice it into on the interior of the engine compartment? Thank you a lot for your help

I think I found some information here that I could go with anybody have a second opinion 

There is a three way connector just over the clutch pedal after you remove the lower covering.  The green wires should be a switched/fused connection used for the tii fuel pump.  You might test it with a VOM to make sure.  It is easy to run a wire down along the door, under the back seat and into the trunk for a fuel pump.

20181101_184200.jpg