• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which '02 egg-foot will win the O'fest Index of Thermal Effi

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It's a shame the fuel economy thread stirred up some disgruntled-ness among us. Hey, some of us like our cars with sidedrafts, lumpy cams and suspensions that require kidney belts, then drive like bats out of hell and never see the tach drop below four grand. Others keep the stock 1-barrel and skinny tires and get a kick out of breaking 30 mpg.

The Neue Klasse variants aren't incredible at acceleration, handling, fuel economy, or reliability -- but as I understand it, they were among the first sedans to be competent in all of them. The strength of our cars is that they can be modified to make them do damn well in some of those areas, even if that means making other areas suffer.

I drive my car well below its limits -- mostly because I don't have the training to be skillful at piloting a car "on the edge," and I don't want to ball up my car by being ignorant. I'd love to do a driving school, but I just can't justify the cost, so I console myself by enjoying the fuel mileage and practicality of my largely stock '02 -- and how well it handles even driving at 5/10ths.

You have ample fast-driving skills, I assume, so you enjoy your car's performance by driving the wheels off it and couldn't care less about fuel mileage. That's great, but there are many ways to enjoy these cars.

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

from Vintage at the Vineyards)--all the SUVs and Buicks/Cadillacs/Mopars that passed us on the straight section...then we got into those downhill sharp curves N of Beckley posted at 50 and 55...Dave and I were maintaining a steady 70 and suddenly we were passing everyone--all with their brake lights lit at every curve, while we motored serenely along using only the right pedal...THAT's what an '02 is all about!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

That's what I love about the car -- the confidence it inspires even if you aren't driving like a maniac. I kinda wondered why all those folks were getting on the brakes when many of them should corner with a maximum raw g-force greater than a stock '02 (which is, what, around 0.70 with 165 tires?). Then it hit me: maybe the '02's limits aren't as high, but it's more stable and communicative at any given level than the wallowing Builac Escapadosauruses. And we were getting 27-30 mpg through those mountains...

-Dave