• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel injector cleaning, servicing and testing

NYNick

30 minutes ago, irdave said:

You guys sound like kids at Christmas!  :)

Of course I'll take pictures and tell everyone about it.

I also found a pressure testing pump for the injectors at a second hand store.  They want a couple hundred dollars for it, but have no idea what it is- so I'm waiting until it's been there for a while...

I love living vicariously. 

Take your injectors down down to the shop to ‘test it out’. Only fair you establish it’s working first 

?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Use a diesel 'pop tester' or Google "DIY pop tester" to make one out of an old hydraulic jack.

If the spray pattern is bad I am not sure what you can do to correct it...maybe some light valve grinding paste...

If the pressure is low then you can shim the spring with some suitably hard material.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

44 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Use a diesel 'pop tester' or Google "DIY pop tester" to make one out of an old hydraulic jack.

If the spray pattern is bad I am not sure what you can do to correct it...maybe some light valve grinding paste...

If the pressure is low then you can shim the spring with some suitably hard material.

That's actually why I'm looking at the pressure tester- I tried shimming my injectors, first with 0.3mm shims, then with 0.1mm shims- and was having no joy.  Once I can test them, then I'll know they're functioning as designed and just tune the rest of the system around that.  My first set was opening at about 350 psi, second set at around 425 (tested at the diesel place.)  Noticeably better running with the 425s, which made me want to try some at over 500, like they're suppose to be.  Maybe I should just go pick up the tester...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

14 hours ago, mokeefe said:

Just sent 4 to be tested, cleaned and serviced to H&R on Long Island (Bohemia).  Quick turn around and reasonable, they know Kugelfishcer's. 

Hans is quite the character over there at H&R. Sending mine out Monday. Thanks!

BTW we're quite local to each other. I've been to Buchanan like 3 times this past week to go to the upholsterer and just live over by Katonah.

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Nick,

Good luck, I dealt with Marty, his son.  The acorn does not fall far from the oak.

We'll have to catch up in the spring, as I am putting cars away for the winter, actaully still looking for space for one, if you have any leads?

Michael 

4 hours ago, irdave said:

I also found a pressure testing pump for the injectors at a second hand store.  They want a couple hundred dollars for it, but have no idea what it is- so I'm waiting until it's been there for a while...

Dave (and Nick), let me just put this here for your consideration - ebay diesel injector tester of questionable quality  There are a bunch of different ones for sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

Between me and my local tii friends (that I can think of) we have had at least 4 sets of injectors tested locally.  I`ve seen the ultrasonic tank and the "hand pump" injector tester in use.

For approx. $400  we could buy an ultrasonic cleaning tank and tester.  Honestly, their products don`t look bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AG-Precision-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-with-Heater-Timer-4-5-L-Capacity/322518694026?hash=item4b179cb88a:g:8SAAAOSwYvFZGuWV

I have a set of injectors ready for cleaning and testing.  I`m reluctant to pay $160 when the tools can be had to DIY at a reasonable price.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I bought a small ultra sonic cleaner at HF to try it out- seems to work ok.  I'll try to swing by the second hand store today and see if the real tester they had is still there.

Tangent; I think I'm starting to understand the hard starting when warm phenomenon.  My car is getting much better at starting on the first or second crank when warm.

Dave.

Probably more difficult to find than a shop that does diesel injector systems, but since the original Mercedes 300SL (and other M-B's using that injected engine back in the 50s) use the same injectors, a shop that specializes in elderly M-Bs should be able to do the testing also.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What I don't know for certain is whether or not the shop dismantles the injector before cleaning.  I think the spring perch is very difficult to dismantle, or if it's even possible.  Then it would just be the top and bottom pieces detached and cleaned seperately?

Anyone have anything to add?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

28 minutes ago, mike said:

Probably more difficult to find than a shop that does diesel injector systems, but since the original Mercedes 300SL (and other M-B's using that injected engine back in the 50s) use the same injectors, a shop that specializes in elderly M-Bs should be able to do the testing also.

mike

Having built a couple 300SL motors and personally handled the injectors, they ARE visually different from tii (and M1) injectors. M1 uses the same injectors as a tii, which might explain the insultingly high price in BMW's parts system. 

As for testing them yourself… here's a paragraph from the Mercedes service manual I'm using for a 300SE engine build… Sobering!

thumbnail-2.jpg

• Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

"The jetted fuel penetrates deeply into the flesh and destroys the tissue" - Nice!

PaulW, any detail in the manual on cleaning them?

Short of disassembling them, maybe one could pump off-the-shelf fuel injector cleaner through them.  The only fuel injector cleaner I've had luck with on more traditional injectors is the stuff that you input into the schrader valve in the engine bay.  Pumping it through the tii injectors with that cheapo ebay tool seems analogous.    

Edited by g_force

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

The inside isn't difficult to take apart.i would need to make tools to reassemble. The concern is stretching the spring so that it had decreased opening pressures. I suppose if you could test after reassembly you would just be able to shim accordingly.

I've got one taken apart at the shop.o can post a picture of it.

Dave.

1 hour ago, g_force said:

PaulW, any detail in the manual on cleaning them?

I don't have a shop manual.  Sorry.

What I gather is that ultrasonic cleaning gets rid of any corrosion in the tip that can cause leaking or poor spray pattern.  Injection system cleaner only gets rid of shellac/grime.

Need more expertise.  Anyone?

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958