NYNick

Fuel injector cleaning, servicing and testing

53 posts in this topic Last Reply

I know there are guys out there who do this, but it seems they're few and far between. I called a few locally and could only find one, who didn't have the right fittings, who would take them and 'see what he could do'. Meh.

Is there a company everybody uses? Geography doesn't much matter as they're small and easily shipped. I just want to make sure they're clean and up to snuff before we cobble this lump back together.

Thanks

Nick

I used these guys in Jacksonville FL for my Megasquirt injectors and would certainly recommend them.  I will note though I didn't end up having them actually clean my injectors, as they tested out so perfectly on the incoming test we decided messing with wouldn't gain anything, so instead I had them perform a few different tests (I was hunting for a smoking gun) in lieu of the cleaning, but they still shipped me new orings and seals back with them, just in case!  PM me if you want more details and I'll dig up the correspondence.

http://www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.com/

Nick's asking about tii injectors, I'd assume.  They're not like normal injectors.  But, most places that can service 80s and earlier Mercedes diesels have the rig to test and clean tii injectors.  For example, I had mine tested long ago at a shop that specialized in truck diesels.  

There are also a few places that know the tii injection system, specifically, and you can find their details via the search.  Off the top of my head, I can think of Jerry Fairchild Industries or Pacific Fuel Injection (both in California), and Precision Automotive Research (in Illinois) and Ingram Enterprises (in Washington state).

2 minutes ago, g_force said:

Nick's asking about tii injectors, I'd assume.

Whoops, sorry!  Currently assembling another Megasquirt for the E30 so have EFI on the brain, apologies tii brethren!

FWIW: I tested my own, using a professional test fixture at the shop where I worked. I found the spray patterns were pretty good, but tapping the side of the injector with my 17mm wrench a few times (while they sprayed), yielded finer / better spray patterns, as I ran high pressure mineral spirits through them. You want to check for opening pressure (around 400 psi, I recall?) as well as spray pattern. I don't currently have the test fixture set up, but any shop that does Metric fitting Diesel injection work, should be able to perform this task for you. Luckily the $700 (each!) tii injectors are nearly bulletproof! 

HTH!

Paul

51 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I used these guys in Jacksonville FL for my Megasquirt injectors and would certainly recommend them.  I will note though I didn't end up having them actually clean my injectors, as they tested out so perfectly on the incoming test we decided messing with wouldn't gain anything, so instead I had them perform a few different tests (I was hunting for a smoking gun) in lieu of the cleaning, but they still shipped me new orings and seals back with them, just in case!  PM me if you want more details and I'll dig up the correspondence.

http://www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.com/

Had a long conversation with Dave. He stopped doing these Tii injectors years ago.

Thx Josh, I'll try those three shops.

BTW, I hate the FAQ search function. It just doesn't work for me. I usually just go to Google which sends me to threads on FAQ and other places. 

Pro bimmer will service tii injectors. Their website shows $40 per injector for testing, $115 to rebuild. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Pro bimmer will service tii injectors. Their website shows $40 per injector for testing, $115 to rebuild. 

Great. Thx

Just sent 4 to be tested, cleaned and serviced to H&R on Long Island (Bohemia).  Quick turn around and reasonable, they know Kugelfishcer's. 

I've used Wes Ingram a couple of time and I love his work. For me, it is a local thing. I can drive to Wes'. Heard good things about the others. 

He's big in the Alfa/Spica worlds. he rebuilds KF also. Rebuilt my A4 TBs last year. 

Herb Sanborn (who does the injector cleaning) is a true craftsman. He cleaned and matched 4 injectors for me. 

I have 2 matched spares and 6 more i'd like to have cleaned, tested and calibrated. 

Here's a picture of his flow bench. http://wesingram.com/shoptools.html. Got a chance this summer to hear him run a Montreal pump at full speed, that was amazing. 

Good luck. 

What does rebuilding an injector get?  Take it apart and ultrasonically clean it?  If someone could get the pressure back up to the 500+ psi it's supposed to be, that would be interesting...

Side note; found a guy in the France that is selling rebuild kits for the kugelfischer pump.  I know it's sacrilege to do it yourself, but I'm a hethen, so it's ok.  Kit should show up sometime in the next couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, irdave said:

Side note; found a guy in the France that is selling rebuild kits for the kugelfischer pump.  I know it's sacrilege to do it yourself, but I'm a hethen, so it's ok.  Kit should show up sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Sounds exciting! Let us know how it goes.

We have 2 diesel fuel injection service shops here.  Both will service our injectors for $40 each.  That's ultrasonic cleaning and "static" test.

Wes Ingram is able to "pulse" test, which is running the injector with a KFish pump for testing the pattern at various rpms.  I watched and recorded Herb.  The following vid is worth watching.

https://youtu.be/6ZcV5XPEgVo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, g_force said:

Take pictures!

6 hours ago, g_force said:

3 hours ago, Simeon said:

Take pictures!

You guys sound like kids at Christmas!  :)

Of course I'll take pictures and tell everyone about it.

I also found a pressure testing pump for the injectors at a second hand store.  They want a couple hundred dollars for it, but have no idea what it is- so I'm waiting until it's been there for a while...