SirJojo

is it hard to convert an automatic to a 4spd or 5 spd

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

might have a chance to get my hand on a 73 roundie for a good price, but it's currently an auto.  

is it hard to convert from auto to a 4spd or 5 spd.  i know it needs a little more to convert to 5 spd but is there anything else to pay attention to?

Just rust, as usual- otherwise, it's easy.

t

• Like 1

Start looking for a good manual pedal box...I know of one if your interested. $250 from a guy up in NY

44 minutes ago, iinca said:

Start looking for a good manual pedal box...I know of one if your interested. $250 from a guy up in NY

Might take your offer on it if I decide to buy the car. What I really want is similar to the one you sold last year. 70-73 charmonix roundie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

that sounds very hard to do.  the cases are totally different.

Tom.  That sounds like something Toby would say.

I might say,"I might want the bell housing from the automatic if you end up taking it out..." because I have too many things floating around in my head at any given time.

19 minutes ago, irdave said:

Tom.  That sounds like something Toby would say.

I might say,"I might want the bell housing from the automatic if you end up taking it out..." because I have too many things floating around in my head at any given time.

I wish I had the skills, tools and ingenuity to cut, machine and weld that automatic bell housing to allow it to mate to a modern 5 (or 6) speed gearbox. 

52 minutes ago, Simeon said:

I wish I had the skills, tools and ingenuity to cut, machine and weld that automatic bell housing to allow it to mate to a modern 5 (or 6) speed gearbox. 

I don't know- according to Toby it's about as close to bolt on as you can get.  Other than needing to chop the crap out of the tranny tunnel because the gearbox you'd want to use is apparently a little chunky...  And you need one with a removable bell housing- failed to mention that part.