• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002 Tii Daily/Project

Jbaumshelter

Price: $10000

Description:

This is an awesome restoration project car. It could also be a daily driver for someone not looking to start the project right away. 

Full disclosure, I intended to sell this car when I bought it. I don't flip cars but I was looking for a car for my son when I ran into this car. The seller had it listed but refused to answer questions or send any pictures of anything. Some of you may remember the listing. It was almost comical. Anyway, I met the owner and he was actually a very nice older guy. He just didn't know how to do anything on a computer.  I currently have 2- 2002 projects right now. I using any profits in this car to fund these projects. 

It's a 1 owner (until I bought it) 1974 Tii sunroof car. I have never registered this car. I have had it a total of 2 weeks. It's a California Blue Plate car. Spent it's entire life in the bay area from what I understand. It's a clean title car. I have all documents confirming ownership from the same owner back to 1974. From all the receipts, I estimate the mileage to be around 160k. 

The Paint-

The car color is Granatrot Metallic. Fairly rare color from what I know. The owner stated that he slid into the back of an SUV with a spare tire on the back over 10 years ago. The repairs seem to have been done correctly. For some reason, the owner never painted it. It's currently in primer and needs to be sanded and painted. The current primer is no good but has protected the car from rust. Slight draw back is that the front clip that was used to replace it has a snorkel. I have included pictures but please don't hesitate to ask for anything more detailed. 

The Body-

Rust condition is really good. Small surface bubbles around the window gaskets and couple of the door moldings. None of them appear to be major at all. Rocker panels are rock solid with no signs of corrosion. Rear shock mounts are perfect as well. Sunroof works if you use your hand to help it along. I didn't bother trying to fix it as it would need to come out for a repaint anyway. Floor boards are solid and not rusted front or back. The spare tire well is rusted & needs to be replaced. Obviously, reproductions for that piece are easily available and it's not to major of a project. Metal around the gas tank is good. The drivers door has a dent. Probably fixable at a body shop or you could get a used door and just replace it if you are going to repaint the car. Belt trim & knee trim are all in decent shape. Not perfect after 40+ years but still good. Bumpers and accordions are in decent shape as well. 

The Glass-

All glass is in good shape including the front windshield. Both front windows are in good working order. Wing windows work fine with very little play. 

The Electrical- 

Front Blinkers were not working correctly when I acquired the car. That has been sorted and fixed. All exterior lights are working as they should. Interior headliner light is not working. I haven't attempted to fix it. Probably just needs a bulb. The heater fan is not working. Owner stated that he never used it so he never fixed it. I have done this job a few times. Not my favorite job but also not out of the realm of a shade tree mechanic.

The Engine/Transmission-

This is a numbers matching car in all 4 places. The original Tii air intake box was missing when I acquired the car. I have replaced that back to original. The car was running very rich when I acquired it as well. That has been fixed and is running perfectly. The car has great power and starts right up. I have been driving it daily for at least 30 minutes every day since I acquired it. I also took it on a 100 mile drive thru the local canyons last week. No problems and a fun car to drive. I have done some maintenance items. Oil Change, Spark Plugs, Wires etc. Previous owner replaced all the gas lines in the car on my request. I have receipts for that work. Honestly, it's just a great running car. Transmission shifts into all 4 gears nicely. From under the car I didn't see any leaks from the trans or rear diff at all.  

The Suspension/Brakes-

Brakes seem to be working great. No leaking lines etc. Shocks are pretty soft front and rear. 

The Interior-

The interior needs help. Front seats have tears in the bottom. They are shot. I put seat covers on so I could stand sitting in the car. I'm happy to take those off if you want pictures but I'm telling you, they are shot.  Rear seat isn't torn but is discolored from the sun. Rear parcel shelf needs to be replaced. Door cards are just ok but they have never had speakers cut into them. Headliner should be replaced as well. Dashboard has the typical cracks. Not super bad cracks but they are there. I will say everything is working in the gauge cluster. The speedometer needle was missing. I have sent that in for repair because the mileage counter was working and reflected the mileage with the receipts for the car. That is expected to be back and installed shortly. I also replaced the bulbs in the cluster while I had it out. Carpet has holes in the drives and passenger side. Previous owner has tried to cover them up with mats. The really good part about the interior is the console and shift surround. There was never a radio installed in this car. No holes in the console, no hole for and antenna. It's all in perfect shape. 

The Documentation-

This part of the car is awesome. I have arranged all the documentation in order according to year & date. It's a 3 ring binder that is thicker than a bible. The original owner was meticulous about keeping everything. Everything from oil changes, insurance cards, registration receipts etc. It's very easy to document this as a 1 owner car back to 1974 when purchased new. The car came with a mint condition original widow sticker. Owners & service manual etc. Very cool stuff in this folder. 

I've tried to cover most everything I could think of. If you would like a picture of something else just let me know. 

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

Edited by Jbaumshelter
Spelling error
  • Like 3

Very cool find in a rare color that's underappreciated IMHO. So tempting, but I'm close (knock on wood) to closing a deal on another '74 tii. Best of luck w/the sale!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

The car just sold. I believe it is going to a great home on the East Coast where it will have a chance to be properly restored and loved. I will let the new owner comment if he so desires and register it on the forum. I'm gonna kick myself in the butt for selling this car in a couple of years. 

Sounds  like a good deal, Jbaum.  I like the color, but I am biased as I have a ‘74 granatrot project car myself.  I am also on the East Coast so maybe I’ll see this car in person some day.  Does the paint appear to be original?  It looks good.  I imagine the buyer will aspire to having it look like this some day (not my car, a ‘74 Alpina that sold for big $$$ a couple of years ago).

B73D551B-83D4-4A9E-8802-DB1FABF5DD9F.jpeg

2 hours ago, bluehills2002 said:

Sounds  like a good deal, Jbaum.  I like the color, but I am biased as I have a ‘74 granatrot project car myself.  I am also on the East Coast so maybe I’ll see this car in person some day.  Does the paint appear to be original?  It looks good.  I imagine the buyer will aspire to having it look like this some day (not my car, a ‘74 Alpina that sold for big $$$ a couple of years ago).

I believe it was resprayed or partially resprayed at some point. There was a bunch of documents for a BMW paint shop in the giant book of receipts. I think the color is beautiful and you don't see it very often. The car is going to Newark, NJ so if you are in that area maybe you can see it in person someday. 

19 hours ago, bluehills2002 said:

B73D551B-83D4-4A9E-8802-DB1FABF5DD9F.jpeg

Granatrot is a metallic color. BMW’s metallic paints of the 1960’s and 1970’s were a fiasco. They started failing when they were a couple years old. BMW’s policy was to pay for re-paints, provided the paint failed within three years.

My ‘76’s Polaris metallic lasted three and a half years — that was considered long — probably because it was garaged from new. All of the metallic ‘02’s have long-since been re-painted, or at least 100% of all upper surfaces: hoods, roofs, trunk lids, and the tops of quarter panels and doors. During those years, especially the 1970’s, BMW was recommending re-painting with Dupont’s Imron, because Glasurit could not create a metallic paint that held up. So if you want an original paint ‘02, cross the metallic colors off your list! Chamonix and Sahara, on the other hand, are two of your best bets for a finish that has endured.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...