• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

miles per gallon?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

can anybody give me an idea of how many miles per gallon a 2002 will get, give or take? i'd really like to buy one and i'm just wondering about the gas mileage. thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

5000 rpm. Around town more likely 17. Even my 1600-2 only got 25.4 at it's best ever. You 25mpg guys must shift gears at 2000 rpm. Do 5500 rpm in first and second on a regular basis and see if you can get 20. Some '02 owners drive hard and some hardly drive.

Guest Anonymous

thats with the stock 4spd, and stock 3.64 diff.. The car seems to be very well sorted at this point and synthetic fluids DO make that much of a difference!

Guest Anonymous

hard to drive safely, and the canyons beckon even driving to Santa Monica from the Valley. I do believe the 2-barrel '02s get worse mileage than the 1-barrel motors. The M30 motor big sixes get even worse mileage. I'm lucky to get 15 in my 533i, which I do drive very hard too. '02s demand high RPM running and were never good at mileage. I even run my air pressure at 33psi which doesn't help a bit for mileage. I do drive around in 2nd or 3rd at high RPM a lot, so I have instant reponse instead of having to shift.

Guest Anonymous

9-279910.JPG

does gas mileage really matter when your grinning ear to ear ?!

Drive a DIESEL if you want economy.

Guest Anonymous

about 24 around town and on a recent trip 28-30. Stock 73 with weber 2 bbl (equally high mileage engine) gets 21-22 around town and 26-30 on the highway...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Early '71, stock engine, single-barrel Solex, four-speed, 3.64 differential.

On the way to and from Winston-Salem this past weekend, I was running through the eastern Kentucky and West Virginia Appalachians, and I got an average of 27.6 mpg, running 70-75 on the highways and including a couple score miles of city driving in W-S. One highway tank I bettered 30 mpg, which I thought pretty good.

But yes, I do drive like a grandpa, usually shifting around 3k rpm or lower when I'm just getting from A to B and observing a self-imposed "redline" of about 5500 rpm on spirited driving. I keep it in third under steady driving up to 30 mph, and it's in fourth for continuous speeds over that (i.e., not accelerating).

I don't yet know how to drive fast safely, since I can't afford a driving school, so I don't drive fast. And I'm a mileage freak -- I'm hoping for 32-33 on the highway when I get the 5-speed in...

-Dave

25-year-old old-man driver

Guest Anonymous

With a modified engine (9.5:1, 300 Motorsport cam, dual 40DCOEs) and stock driveline (4 speed, 3.64 diff) I get about 20mpg in mixed driving and will consistently get 25mpg in highway cruising at 75-80mph. Tuning is important.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

long , fast runs. then, for some odd reason, my mileage on both cars exceeds 25 mpg. i have hit 30 mpg coming back from Tahoe @ 85 mph avg. weird. mileage is worst at track= 10 mpg avg.